Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File recovery after using system restore

• Please log in to reply

johnnygb

johnnygb

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

I used my system restore CD rom and stupidle did not take a back-up of my files (I only did this because the programme wizard said it make an automatic one - it didn't :)).

I have heard that when a file gets deleted it gets partitioned elsewhere, is this true and how do I go about restoring these file?

Thanks

:tazz:

Advertisements

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
If you've restored an image, I'm sorry to say that I think your chances of restoring any files are virtually zero. However if you want to try undeleting files, I'd suggest you try "FreeUndelete". You can download it at http://www.majorgeek...wnload4407.html

I copied the following directly from the website for ya.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FreeUndelete is a freeware data recovery program for deleted files.

In case of accidental deletion of files on a NTFS file system (used by default in Windows XP, 2000 and NT) FreeUndelete is the utility to help.

It is our pleasure to emphasize that FreeUndelete is free. There is no charge, direct or hidden, to download and use a fully functional copy of the program. The program does not install any spyware or adware along with it. It does not populate user's desktop with pop-up ads or forcefully subscribe user to mailing lists.