Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sudden small boot screen

• Please log in to reply

deudonne

deudonne

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
everything was running great (thanks to previous G2G advisors) until last night.

I found a great atari st emulator (steem) - but it crashed when i tried to start a rom. System rebooted immediately and recovered from a serious error.

Now every time I reboot I get a reduced size 'asus' Mobo screen and windows loading screen then back to full screen for user log in.

I hasnt seemed to adversly affect performance and everything runs fine. BIOS is also in reduced screen.

However - i dont like things happening that shouldn't be -- so i ghosted an image from about a month ago onto system partition. ( bit annoying as i've done quite a lot since then) - BUT it hasnt fixed it.

Could the error have lodged itself into BIOS or something. I dont know enough, but im hoping someone may have seen this before. The screen is reduced to about 2/3 the size and is off centre.

I have sent an email to STEEM emulator site, just to ask if they've seen this before, but I'm not too hopeful for reply. Will post here as soon as i get one tho.

Cheers for your time!
D

Advertisements

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I suppose it has to be a bios problem. Personally I'd flash the bios either to the same verion or a newer one if it exists, BUT keep in mind you need to know what you're doing a NOT screw up or you can wreck the motherboard and render it unusable.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i havent yet flashed the bios - i read somewhere a similaar problem - - the only one i could find at all -- he said he flashed the bios, to not avail :: although he didnt go on to get a solution.

I got a BSOD since posting, and i have never had one on this load up of windows previously. It mentioned somethiing about DRIVE_NIRQ_something.. I should have noted it. However its been running ok since then. It is just really unnerving knowing that my well oiled machine is now being questionable.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
found out that the BSOD was due to new install and setup of of kerio firewall - have uninstalled it.

Small bios screen still bugging.
Think i'm gonna flash bios.
Any pointers for doing this on asus k8n??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi deudonne...welcome back!

Have you tried setting the Default settings or Fail Safe Settings (depending on which version is on the machine) in the BIOS?

The Flash BIOS bus on the K8N is right under the CMOS battery and appears like this. [ .::: ] It's labeled CLRTC. To flash the BIOS, you will be using the top three pins. Shut the machine down and unplug the power cord before doing this.

To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 January 2006 - 11:08 AM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi there!

great to see you wannabe1! cheers for looking me up!

will follow your post - your advice seems to be the most plausible! I just wouldn't have been sure how to do this safely myself.
I posted on asus website to see what they'd say and they said i should change my screen position on my monitor! hmm.. reading lessons spring to mind.

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!!
Deudonne

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
cmos clearing didnt work im afraid, ... but ...,
and i feel like a fool.

I adjusted the monitor size and position on monitor when i was in bios.. and expected a large screen to big to fit when in windows BUT it didnt - it seemed to fit .. Huh?!? i dont get it. Its a really old monitor - i didnt realise that it adjusted itself from the windows loading scrren to the windows log on screen. I guess the asus guy was right... i better go and let him know.

so alls back to normal, and i learn not to jump to any early conclusions when dealing with these machines.

cheers wannabe1. we'll meet again. keep leading the way.

Deudonne

Edited by deudonne, 18 January 2006 - 01:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:)

Things are never as they seem on these machines!!! :tazz:

For once we get to say that the support guy actually knew what he was talking about...that doesn't happen very often... :)

Check back once in a while...I like watching you troubleshoot in here.... :woot:

wannabe1