Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Before I consign this to the scrap heap

• Please log in to reply

th3

th3

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Win XP PC with Chaintech CT-7VJDA Mobo

Been having problems with this PC for some time now all steming back to a BSOD (driver related) from which I thought wrongly I had recovered from.

See also this thread for previous problem with USB which was resolved by a repair by local engineer.

I hadn't noticed but the floppy drive is not active/working. It's shown as 'standard floppy disk controller' in device amanger, drivers ok etc but when it comes to putting a disk in or trying to save to that drive it simply does not show up anywhere. It is absent from Windows Explorer too......

I have tried deleting from device manager then restarting - no change.

I have downloaded Mobo Drivers from Here but they haven't changed anything...also they seem only to be sound related...have I downloaded the right ones?

Everest report below for reference.

I guess my question is what should I do now?

BTW I have a new HD being delivered this week so I will be doing a clean install of Windows shortly.

NB Everest removed to shorten post

Edited by th3, 16 January 2006 - 09:28 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would see what a clean install of windows does for you, try and get an up to date windows installation disk. And have all the drivers you need pre prepared on a CD if you dont have the original motherboard CD with drivers, it saves time if everything is ready you can do a full reinstall in less than two hours if you have everything prepared and you can have everything you had before.

A clean install of windows will fix a great many problems its often the easiest fix even though it is the most drastic, anythin software related you fix now will be undone with the reinstall so i would wait and see.

When you are in your PC installing the HDD you can perform some general maintenance, eg immobilise or remove the fans and you can use compressed air or a hoover to clean the dust from inside and you can check all the cable conections removing and replacing them to make sure they are secure.

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok thanks Warriorscot.

I am lucky enough to have all the original driver disks etc.

Is it worth flashing the CMOS at the same time?

With regards Windows, I only have a Home disk and a Home + SP1, NO SP2. This computer is not/will not be connected to the I/Net at any time but will it still be worth getting an SP2 disk?

Again many thanks!

Tony

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its worth getting SP2 as its not all security features and you never know what you are going to do with the PC in the future, you can send off to MS and they send you a new installation disk usually free of charge.

You can do a CMOS flash now if you want to, if you are having bother its worth a try, its not a big operation just get the latest bios and follow the instructions.

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Resolved :tazz: :)

Thought about it a bit and decided to check BIOS settings. Drive A was set as none :woot: . Set it to default value and low and behold it appears.

Something else to add to my knowledge bank :)

Many thanks,

Tony