Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Hangs During MCE 2005 Installation

• Please log in to reply

dooger3

dooger3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, here's my situation. I'm trying to install Windows Media Center Edition into a HTPC I'm building. I successfully installed it once before only to have it stop working on me the 4th or 5th time I booted it up (after downloading all the updates/drivers, etc). I assumed it was a hard drive failure and sent the hard drives back.

I just got new ones and installed them and went to try and install MCE again and the process starts, I see the blue Windows Setup screen, it apparently loads all the basic drivers and Windows .exe files and then says "Setup is starting Windows"...at which point the CD starts spinning/reading slower and the system just hangs there.

I don't know if it's the disk as there are no noticeable scratches and I was able to load it on the other hard drives before (though that ultimately didn't work out) and I'm not sure if it's the DVD-RW drive as it starts the process just fine, so I'd assume it can read and send data fine? I did try switching IDE cables and the primary and secondary IDE spots on the motherboard and that didn't work either. I've checked that my RAM is in the right place, my hard drives are visible/show up in the BIOS, everything is in place I think, but it just doesn't want to get to the next step in the setup. Any ideas?

Here's some of my basic specs just in case:

Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (OEM)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 (2 250GB)
1 GB Kingston RAM (184 pin, 1 DIMM)
Seasonic S12 500W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3800
Gigabyte 6600GT Video Card
Lite-On DVD-RW Drive

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks...

Advertisements

dooger3

dooger3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Additionally, I tested out another XP Home disk to see if I could get it past that same point it was hanging up on the MCE disk...

The XP Home disk did get past the hangup and went on to ask me if I wanted to setup XP Home. I declined and exited the setup.

Any idea why this may be? I would assume that it might be the MCE disk itself, but it did load before?