Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router with dsl internet connection cuts out

• Please log in to reply

katieb

katieb

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I have my internet connected for my laptop through my Dlink router. On my desktop which is directly connected to the router the internet does not cut out. When other laptops are connected to the router, they do not cut out either. But when I have my new hp laptop connected to the wireless it cuts out every once in a while. The internet does not actually say that it is disconnected but none of the internet programs work. Please help me with it...I dont know what to do!! Its getting really annoying.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Networking

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi katieb,
Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find a TCP/IP error, please open it by double clicking on it. Is the error message inside identical to this:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If so, please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 50). Reboot your computer and test your connection.

If that error message is not in Event Viewer, please post any other errors/warnings, if present.

When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Can you please try to connect the laptop directly to the modem, and seeing if you still lose connectivity?

Thanks,
Dan.

katieb

katieb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, here is the error message

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer MIKADON that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0E142EC3-1541-452F-9. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Mikadon is my desktop computer.

Darn im connected directly and still disconnect

Edited by katieb, 16 January 2006 - 10:10 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, that error generally means that your computers aren't setup properly -- on the Desktop Mikadon computer, can you please open up the Event Log and look under the System log again; you should find an error in their -- please post it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Darn im connected directly and still disconnect

Okay, well that changes things.

Have you tried (when you lose the connection) to re-establish it by doing:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

katieb

katieb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok the only error I could find on that computer is

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer KATIE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{6A0E1E41-1843-4240-A40. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

KATIE is my laptop but I found the error about the TCP/IP thing and ran the patcher. So far I have not disconnected.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

So far I have not disconnected.

Touch wood...

If you want to fix the Master Browser error, let me know -- however, it will require you to enter RegEdit -- although, you won't be modifying any 'important' / 'crucial' values, so you don't have to worry about destroying your computer. That said, some people aren't comfortable in their registry; so if you aren't experiencing any disconnects, then there's no real reason for you to 'fix' it.

Let me know if you get disconnected again.

katieb

katieb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: I got disconnected again ...

I am ok with fixing the Master Browser error, I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff and not worried about screwing up my computer.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, I don't think this will necessarily solve your disconnection problem, but it will clean it up a bit:
On the laptop, KATIE, open up Regedit (Start --> Run --> Type regedit --> Now, navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList --Open it up and change it's value from Yes or Auto to False. (Note: If you notice any sort of problem, just change it back to it's original value.)

Now, restart your computer into Safe Mode with Networking -- connect to the Internet and see if you still get disconnected.

Advertisements

katieb

katieb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright great so I'm running in safe mode as of now, so far so good. how long do I have to stay in this mode?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Just long enough for you to feel sure that you aren't going to be disconnected -- when you go back into normal mode, you might get disconnects again; that's fine. It will just let us know that it's an errant piece piece of software on your computer that's causing the disconnects.

katieb

katieb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok , so I got disconnected again in normal mode. I was hoping it wouldn't be a software error but I guess that's what it is. Do I have to restore my computer?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Do I have to restore my computer?

No.

Please download HijackThis. Run it and perform a scan -- save the log and then from the log, please post all of the Running Processes.

Also, please generate an uninstall list:
To get an Uninstall List from HijackThis:
  • Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
  • Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
  • Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
  • Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

katieb

katieb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\program files\TheWeatherNetwork\WeatherEye\WeatherEye.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NSMdtr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Mobile Action\Motorola V3 Bluetooth-Handset Manager\PanelExe.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Katie\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.h...ilion&pf=laptop
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://sympatico.msn.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...ilion&pf=laptop
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] "%ProgramFiles%\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WeatherEye] C:\program files\TheWeatherNetwork\WeatherEye\WeatherEye
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe" /WinStart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_CA&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windup...e/bridge-c9.cab
O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} (SysData Class) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp...ads/sysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.co...ad/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Adobe Reader 7.0.5
Broadcom 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter
CC_ccProxyExt
ccCommon
CCHelp
ccPxyCore
CCScore
ColorNick v2 plugin for Messenger Plus!
Conexant AC-Link Audio
DVD Shrink 3.2
Easy Internet Sign-up
ESSAdpt
ESSANUP
ESSCAM
ESSCDBK
ESScore
ESSgui
ESShelp
ESSini
ESSPCD
ESSSONIC
ESSvpaht
ESSvpot
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
Graph paper printer
HijackThis 1.99.1
HLPIndex
HLPRFO
HP Help and Support
HP Software Update
HP User Guides 0001
HP Wireless Assistant
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
InterVideo WinDVD
iTunes
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
Kodak EasyShare software
KSU
LimeWire 4.9.37
Live Homework Help
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 2.5 (Symantec Corporation)
Macromedia Flash Player 8
Macromedia Shockwave Player
Mah Jong Tiles Deluxe
Messenger Plus! 3
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
Microsoft Money 2005
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Microsoft Works
Motorola V3 Bluetooth-Handset Manager
Mozilla Firefox (1.5)
MSN Messenger 7.5
MSRedist
muvee autoProducer 4.0 - SE
Norton AntiSpam
Norton AntiSpam
Norton AntiVirus 2005
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security 2005 (Symantec Corporation)
Norton Security Center
Norton WMI Update
Norton WMI Update
Notifier
OTtBP
OTtBPSDK
PCDADDIN
PCDHELP
PCDLNCH
Quick Launch Buttons 5.10 B2
QuickTime
REALTEK Gigabit and Fast Ethernet NIC Driver
Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896422)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896688)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905915)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)
SFR
SFR2
Shockwave
Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Sonic Audio Module
Sonic Copy Module
Sonic Data Module
Sonic Express Labeler
Sonic MyDVD Plus
Sonic Update Manager
SPBBC
SSH Secure Shell