Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS translation problems

• Please log in to reply

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Very weird technical problem. Specifically with TCP/IP and accessing domain names.

My internet is going on for about 5 minutes, and then it stops working for about 5 minutes.
I have confirmed that this problem has nothing to do with my ISP.

The problem is specifically only occuring with my computer.
I had a variety of malware, and I believe that the computer is clean of all malware.

My internet connection will not work at all if the TCP/IP is not specifically set.
I also have my DNS servers specifically set.
(1 week ago I did not have this problem, but I installed the wrong
file and have had to totally eliminate it)
The IP address is set to communicate with my router, and it
continues to make a direct connection with the router.

When I ping my dns servers I intermittently am able to ping it successfully and am able to access websites via domain names.
THEN...
Once i am trying to use the internet, and I click on something on a website... it looses its connection. I go to a command prompt and ping my DNS servers and yahoo.com aswell as yahoo's ip address [66.94.234.13].

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by dynamicdavid, 17 January 2006 - 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Networking

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Dave,

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings -- please post the relevant data by double clicking on the error/warning, and copy/pasting the information inside.

ping my DNS servers and yahoo.com aswell as yahoo's ip address [66.94.234.13].

Can you please post the results of these tests?

Thanks,
Dan.

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi Dave,

Can you please post the results of these tests?

Thanks,
Dan.

Hey Dan!

Thank you for taking the time to respond... I appreciate it. :tazz:

I did not mention that I have Linksys routers in the mix of my network. I have a Vonage VOIP phone router, and it was feeding my Wireless switch (DHCP turned off on router).

Last night, I spoke with a Linksys 'Advanced' tech, and he told me that he was totally stumped aside from the fact that the router might have corrupted firmware :) , but that he did not understand how that could be since my wireless laptop was getting its conection through this VOIP router.

In an effort to get everything working, I managed to get a seperate router that I have and get it going in the mix. I reconfigured my network and I can give you'all some details if it matters to anyone.
By changing the network configuration up, I managed to overcome this problem and I am no longer having any problems (at this time, with this issue). :)

So in all I have 3 linksys routers in my home network. If anyone wants to know I'd be happy to explain it to them.

You all have a great day!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

So in all I have 3 linksys routers in my home network. If anyone wants to know I'd be happy to explain it to them.

Hi Dave --> It would be great if you could post your solution; it might very well help some one else who's trying to Google their problem.

Dan.

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dan & wandering souls seeking a solution....

As the previous posts indicated I was having an intermittent (sometimes on and sometimes off) problems that prevented me at first to not be able to get an internet connection and also would occaisonally allow me to ping my DNS server.

As a hopeful solution I attempted a quick idea I had:

Modem ethernet cable connects to Linksys XXXX Firewall/Router [Router 1]. The VOIP (Linksys RT31p2) [Router 2] Router has no other item connected to it aside from phone lines. Also from Router 1, an ethernet cable connects to Linksys WRT54G wirless router [Router 3]. Wired computers connect to back of 'Router 3'. Wireless computer connects to 'Router 3'.
:tazz:

Previously, I had Modem to 'Router 2' , an ethernet cable connected to 'Router 3'. Router 2 seems to have some sort of corruption of its firmware. 'Router 3' the wireless router has had DHCP disabled, so it functions as a "smart switch" broadcasting the wirless and providing DHCP service from 'Router2'.

I connect to the internet using a Motorola Surfboard Modem.

I contact my VOIP provider (Vonage) and they said to use a pointed device (pen, paperclip, etc) and press the red button to reset device. Be sure are still connected to the internet, because this 'Hard Reset' will cause the router to have its firmware reinstalled :) .
This should elimate any potential problems... if not the router might be bad (but I have never had to deal with this myself so far).

For me this was a very unusual or weird problem. But I had no time to play around.

Happy Times

dynamicdavid