Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
THis has mainly nothing to do with system bulding but, what do you guys think is the best video card on the market???? or the coolest????

i think this is pretty sweet

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125210

This aswell

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143044

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 7800gtx 512mb by bfg has my vote.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea that one is pretty sweet, but wouldnt 2 256mb cores be more powerful/faster then 1 512mb core though?

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
NO, most games dont use all the memory anyways, higher clock speeds add performance

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Id probably get 2 7800 gtx's with 256mb before I got the 7800gtx's with 512mb. The 512mb versions are expensive as crap.

The sli helps in the 3d intensive games that have anti-aliasing and antistropic filtering set to the max or in general higer up. It makes the game not bog down as much as it would with 1 card. Your fps dont really get any better, it just has greater fps if the resolution, anti-alias, and antistropic filtering were set all high. In some games you see more fps that others with sli, and with some games you dont gain but 1% for instance. It just depends on what settings you have set in the game.

So really it only helps if you want anti-alias, antistropic filtering and resolution together up high and dont want the game to bog down as much as it would with one card.

You dont need all of those settings I listed to the max in a game. Everything set on high detail and 2X or 4X on both the anti alias and antistropic is all any gamer really needs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x1800xl 512mb has my vote as the fastest card as it has ATI anti aliasing which is much better than Nvidia which doesnt actually have true AA and they have a much more stable FPS its not as high but it holds it much better especially with all the effects which actually make it perform better. But i also like the because they are cheap whihc they arent as cheap in america its just here in Europe they are very cheap.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you had a unlimited budget for putting a pc together I would go for 2 Bfg 7800gtx 512mb cards. Those cards are unbelievable but for the price and performance your getting from the x1800xt 512mb it seems the better deal.

The x1800xt 512mb from newegg runs around $489-$520 U.S. dollars each, one is $549. The 7800gtx 512mb cards run around $750-$760 U.S. dollars each.

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or you could get a pair of x1800XTs on a DFI crossfire board and if you have that much cash you would have a killer CPU like an FX60 or X24800+ and at least 2gigs of ram, and if you had a system like that then all i can say is congratulations you have the worlds fastest retail speed computer system.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Or you could get a pair of x1800XTs on a DFI crossfire board and if you have that much cash you would have a killer CPU like an FX60 or X24800+ and at least 2gigs of ram, and if you had a system like that then all i can say is congratulations you have the worlds fastest retail speed computer system.

:tazz: LOL warriorscot

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you checked out those quadro 7800GTXs with the gig of ram, the card itself is the size of a small computer.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL those quadros are expensive and more for workstations and editing or making movies like shrek, toy story ect..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Still wouldnt mind one, imagine with one of those you could run Quake 4 at ultra settings on a 2000+x2000+ res montior and that would be nice. Also it would be good to know that i could make a CGI movie if i wanted to. The last couple were marketed towards the elite gamer type as well as the workstation market as well, the SLI 6800Ultra quadro was sold more for gaming than workstations, mind you they didnt sell many of them as there was something like 10 duffers to one operational card ready for sale with them.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
what i would do for one of those .................... drooling lol

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Right now, I would say 2 Asus Extreme 7800 GT Duals in SLI. (aka 4 7800 GT 256MBs in SLI)

I hope they come out with some 7800 GTX 512MB Duals. I would be the happist person ever.

AS warriorscot said, paired with an FX-60, 4 GBs RAM, and just for fun a Raptor 10,000 and 2 half-terabyte drives with those graphics cards would completely destroy any computer on the market

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Raptores are pointless.