Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Video Card

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
:tazz: Yeah but I have used them forever so I love them.

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
i dont see whats so speacail about raptors

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats because there isnt, they arent any faster.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
They used to be. I want a 15,000 RPM drive but they are expensive lol. Have you heard about the Dual 7800 GTX 512MBs?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

They used to be. I want a 15,000 RPM drive but they are expensive lol. Have you heard about the Dual 7800 GTX 512MBs?

Yes the two 7800gtx 512mb in sli mode is old news to me. They are great if you have the funds lol.. :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
I was in chat the other night discussing hardware with someone, and got the itch to upgrade. I decided on the Opteron 165. It's a dual core CPU with 2MB of cache, and is supposed to overclock to FX-60 speeds (for about $700 less). Paired it with a DFI nforce4 SLI mobo, so I had to get a new PCIe video card. I decided on the BFG 7800 GT OC. Seems like good price/performance. Of course, I also had to upgrade my power supply. :tazz:

No SLI yet, and 'only' 1GB of RAM. Still getting it dialed in, but I think I'll like it!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds good blair, you play many games? would be a decent gaming rig opterons arent the best gamers but they have oodles of raw power that make up for the lack of architecture refinement, system like that would need a power what size of PSU did you get 550W?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Good deal, Bfg is a great manufacturer that makes good quality video cards.

Did you get the opteron mainly for a server or web server?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I was in chat the other night discussing hardware with someone, and got the itch to upgrade. I decided on the Opteron 165. It's a dual core CPU with 2MB of cache, and is supposed to overclock to FX-60 speeds (for about $700 less). Paired it with a DFI nforce4 SLI mobo, so I had to get a new PCIe video card. I decided on the BFG 7800 GT OC. Seems like good price/performance. Of course, I also had to upgrade my power supply. :)

No SLI yet, and 'only' 1GB of RAM. Still getting it dialed in, but I think I'll like it!

Hey, thats what I got. I love it to death. :)

One thing that I love is BFG's life time warranty. :tazz:

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Yes the two 7800gtx 512mb in sli mode is old news to me. They are great if you have the funds lol.. :tazz:

I meant 7800 GTX 512MB Duals. As in 2 GPUs on 1 card? Then pair 2 of them in SLI and you get 4 7800 GTXes in SLI.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the quadros we were talkin about them last week on another thread i think.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Dell's upcoming XPS 600 Renegade has quad nvidia sli cards.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts

Sounds good blair, you play many games? would be a decent gaming rig opterons arent the best gamers but they have oodles of raw power that make up for the lack of architecture refinement

Actually, the new Opterons are the same core as the FX60, and have all the same features (2mb cache, SSE/SSE2, HyperTransport™, etc.) Without too much trouble, I've been able to overclock my 165 to 2.7, so it's actually faster than an FX-60 (2.6). :tazz:

system like that would need a power what size of PSU did you get 550W

Yeah, my 350W wouldn't cut it, and I'm scavaging parts from the old system for an HTPC anyway. I upgraded to a Enermax Noisetaker 485W. Very nice PS. Super efficient (80%+) quiet, and SLI certified.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Actually, the new Opterons are the same core as the FX60, and have all the same features (2mb cache, SSE/SSE2, HyperTransport™, etc.) Without too much trouble, I've been able to overclock my 165 to 2.7, so it's actually faster than an FX-60 (2.6). :tazz:

Yeah, my 350W wouldn't cut it, and I'm scavaging parts from the old system for an HTPC anyway. I upgraded to a Enermax Noisetaker 485W. Very nice PS. Super efficient (80%+) quiet, and SLI certified.

Did you get it mainly for a server or web server??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really, didnt know they chaned the core on the opteron series, last time i checked them(which was a while ago mind you when hey brought out the dual cpu was last time i looked at them properly) they still used there own core which was closer to a semprons more basic architecture than the athlons but it had a cache bigger than both. Thats quite a good overclock though for any chip.