Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow dialup connections

• Please log in to reply

sokerball86

sokerball86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Alright, well I booted in Safe Mode with Networking, but it won't allow me to use the modem to dialup a connection it only has the LAN and Wireless available. After the full reboot I managed to get one of my random connections at full speed. Also I checked out the details on my dialup, it shows the server IP as 10.10.104.10 and the client at 10.10.104.64. I'm not sure if this will help any. I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Advertisements

sokerball86

sokerball86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
A quick update. I tried using another computer around the house and it connects to that same IP address (10.10.104.10). I can't base any speed assessments on that computer however since the modem on it has always been somewhat unreliable for connection speeds.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
sokerball86,

I did a little research on that address, and it no longer seems so odd to me.

On the other computer, can you please repeat the steps you did on this computer:

Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING Google.com - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C. Please post the results here.

Please download PingPlotter. Run it and perform a search to the following website: google.com -- Once it is finished, click on 'Edit', and then select 'Copy as Text'. Paste the results here.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: netstat -rn and press enter; please post the results here

Do all of these time out on the second hop?

sokerball86

sokerball86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well Pathping does, I did that. I'll get back to you soon about the others, I don't use that computer much. Thanks!!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
sokerball86,
I'm going to guess that they'll all time out in the same fashion -- from the look of things, the University has a firewall that isn't letting you trace your path. This makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot, and it also might be the reason for your decreased speed -- it's taking longer for your packets to be parsed, and therefore your responses are slowed. This would also account for the random change; it would all depend on how busy the University network firewall is.

The only solution I can offer you would be to ask the University if they changed any settings recently, that might've impaired your connection.

Other than that, without the ability to troubleshoot, I'm afraid I can't really offer much more advice.

sokerball86

sokerball86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Alright, well thank you very much all your help has been much appreciated. I love this site, always a good learning experience for me. Thanks again!!!!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Alright, well thank you very much all your help has been much appreciated. I love this site, always a good learning experience for me. Thanks again!!!!

No problem :tazz: -- even though I didn't really help you with anything :)

However, at least you know it's not an inherent fault with your computer alone.

Thanks for being such a great sport :)
Hope to see you around the site :woot: