Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer, New Advice

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi everyone. The computer I've been using is actually 6 years old and we just went out and bought a new computer. Someone once told us before that never shut down your computer after your done, just leave it. What's the advantage of that... I've forgot.

So what do you guys think?

Cheers

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Some people think that if you leave your pc on 24/7 its actually better than turning it off. They think that the parts will last longer and your pc will live longer... Its really up to the owner of the pc and a personal preference. I dont leave my pc running 24/7 and I dont shut it down all the time either. I just turn it on if im home all day then before I goto bed I shut her down. If I leave I will shut it down usually. Like I said its up to you. Odds are that your not going to keep the pc for 6 years or longer anyway. Every two years is the good time to upgrade because you will never stay up with technology. A gamer has to upgrade every year or so depending how much of a gamer he is. Its not bad to leave it running either, I just think that its no since in leaving it running when everyone is sleeping..... Makes since huh?? LOL unless you were downloading something important overnight.. :tazz:

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
If you have bad cooling or something, you better not leave your pc on for 24/7, that is if u have bad cooling. I usually turn off my pc after use. Well i do not keep shutting it down either.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i run my computers 24/7. It started as an experment to see if it was true that it shortened the life of the computer. Results? its both true and false. While some puters have failed in less than a year, others like my pentium 150 compaq is still running after 7 years now.

So, what is the real answer? Its really just what you prefer. Back when i was runing Win 95 i had to reboot every day to be able to run the computer without errors. Win 98 did slightly better and Win Me i finally could go almost a week between reboots. XP has only slightly improved on times between reboots over Win ME. I do have a Mepis Linux Pentium 500 puter that i havent rebooted in a year. What have i found out by running 24/7? You need a real good UPS if you live in a state where there are lots of power outages. The UPS can save the puter from multiple restarts if the power is flickering on and off. I also found that you need quality power supplies in your computers. I have had 7 PS'es fail that were cheaply built . The quality built PS'es have never failed, even when i did not have UPS's hooked up. You can get some mighty strange behaviour out of Windows when it has to scandisk and reboot all the time. One puter Failed to boot at all because of a multiple failure of power while Windows was scandisking.

What do i like about running 24/7? I like that i can get on the puter in 10 seconds anytime that i want to. Turn the monitor on, wiggle the mouse and off you go. NICE. I keep thinking about smart houses that you can run just with voice commands. This will take a computer capable of running 24/7 for 30 years or more, as i dont see any other method to have a smart house without a computer built-in to the house.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From a technical sense you should turn it off, but most people never reach the operational limit of the computers so discern no great advantage of keeping it on all the time.

But there is also the non technical part that a computer is a high fire risk device, it intakes alot of air including dust paticles whihc because of the general design of cases is trapped, computers are electrical devices that produce large amounts of heat as well, you do the maths its seems a good idea to turn off the pc when you are asleep,(you should turn off every electrical device when you go to sleep though, its just good fire safety).