Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help me with ram problems

• Please log in to reply

mckracken41

mckracken41

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi i just installed a gig of ram (512 a piece) into my dimension 4500 and when i turn it back on i hear 2 or 3 beeps... and the monitor won't turn on (but the monitor button appears as orange (not green)) what do i do????

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Try one stick at a time. Do one and see if it works, then take it out, do the other.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
My "right out of the box" suggestion would be to get the correct memory for your machine, but that probably sounds a little harsh. What kind of memory did you put in there and whats the latency? What is its speed? What was in there before? We are going to need a little more information.

:tazz:

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
my speed before was 256MB and i was upgrading it to 1024 (two sticks of 512MB). i ordered the sticks for my dimension 4500 (the website said it was usable for the machine). they were easily fited into the two slots, however when i rebooted the machine it began beeping (2-3 times). Is it possible that i wasn't grounded when i inserted them? and if so, what could that have done to my machine?

Edited by mckracken41, 17 January 2006 - 09:45 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You have referenced size, not speed. Still need to know what type - for example, PC3200 Micron Cas 2.5 - and what was in there before?

Not all memory is created equal. Where did you buy this and who told you it was compatable? I'm not saying it isn't but a little information will go a long way in trying to help you resolve your problem.

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i'll tell you the description of the package that i got from buy.com

Description:

512MB Dell Optiplex GX260 PC2100 DDR DIMM
CPU: STDMEM
UPC:0652877186876
MFG PART: 311-1325-PE
MEM ALT SKU: 617546

THEN: on the 256 RAM strip it has a little sticker that says...

hynix KOREA 01
PC2100U-25330
HYMD232646A8-H AA
256 MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5

OTHER: I just realised that i probably ruined the motherboard with some static electricity... so now i have to spend an extra 136 dollars to get another.... (yet i touched the chassis so i thought i was safe...)

Edited by mckracken41, 17 January 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Slow down on the dead MoBo concept.

Here are your beep codes. You weren't very specific as to whether it was two or three.

Beep Codes

Possible Cause

Corrective Action

A memory refresh failure occurred.
Reseat the memory modules.

Memory parity cannot be reset.

A failure occurred in the first 64 KB of memory.

The system timer is not operational.
See "Contacting Dell" in the Dell Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

8042 Gate A20 cannot be toggled.
See "Contacting Dell" in the Dell Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

An exception interrupt error occurred.

A read/write error occurred in the display memory.

A CMOS shutdown register test error occurred.

An invalid BIOS is installed.

Good Luck.

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it was 3 beeps. i tried re-placing the RAM about 14 times... no combination seemed to work. also the LCD lights on the back were not lit up (A out of A,B,C,D. was the only one lit up).

My friend's brother said it is highly unlikely that I sent a static shock into the machie.. he said i would need to be rubbing cotton for an hour to damage the machine..

Anything else you can tell me? :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Put your original memory back in your machine by itself. If you fire up fine, your new memory is either defective or incompatable.

Edited by Rockster2U, 20 January 2006 - 07:01 AM.

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i tried that also =( it does the same thing... three beeps and only A out of A,B,C,D is lit up.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
only A out of A,B,C,D is lit up ?

OK, I give up - would you be kind enough to interpret that for me.

Aside from the alphabetical whatever, I'd suggest you reset CMOS and select default setup in your BIOS upon first boot. However, once I understand your ABC's there may be something else that needs attention.

:tazz: :) :) :woot: :P :)

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
on the back of the "tower" there are 4 LCD lights. When you boot your computer all 4 lights should turn green. In my case there is a problem and only A is green. B,C and D are not lit up at all (not even yellow). This should mean that my memory isn't being read. My dad is coming down this weekend and taking a look... maybe I can get it fixed.

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well my dad never got around to fixing it... any ideas?

ggWes

ggWes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just had the same problem with upgrading my ram on my Dell Dimension. You may be in the CMOS screen but it hasn't booted your display yet. It is probably prompting you whether to install the ram. Press "F1" a little while after you hear the beeps. For me, the system continued to boot after that and a little while after, my display turned back on fully.

Hope it works for you too! :tazz:

mckracken41

mckracken41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried pressing F1 but nothing happened.

I'm not sure if my keyboard is even working. I tried pressing caps lock to check if the light turned on but it didn't.