Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hibernate

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I have a little problem I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. I just loaded windows xp a machine and I have fax that is hooked up to it. Whenever I go away from the pc for awhile the screen goes black and I can't recieve fax's and it always propts me for my password when I come back to the machine. I have went to the power options in the control panel and messed around with that but nothing seems to work. Is there a way to just turn that off so it doesn't go into hibernation or standby mode. I would greatly appreciate the help, thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
wadeb_21

Have you disabled Hibernation in Power Options? Go to Control Panel and open "Power Options"...Under the "Hibernation" tab, untick the box next to "Enable Hibernation".

While in Power Options, under the "Power Schemes" tab, select "Never" in the three bottom drop down menus.

Click "Apply" then "Ok".

Does this help?

wannabe1

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

wadeb_21

Have you disabled Hibernation in Power Options? Go to Control Panel and open "Power Options"...Under the "Hibernation" tab, untick the box next to "Enable Hibernation".

While in Power Options, under the "Power Schemes" tab, select "Never" in the three bottom drop down menus.

Click "Apply" then "Ok".

Does this help?

wannabe1

Actually I have tried all the suggestions you said to before and for some reason it is still doing it. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How do you connect to the internet? Dial up? LAN?

wannabe1

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

How do you connect to the internet? Dial up? LAN?

wannabe1

dial up right now but in a couple weeks it will be DSL. Do you think the fact that I'm using dial up has something to do with it, because before I reinstalled Win XP it wouldn't do that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go to Control Panel, open "Network Connections", and right-click the "Local Area Connection" icon...Click on "Properties".

In the Local Area Connection Properties window, click on "Configure" and then on the "Power Management" tab.

To enable machine wakeup, check the box labelled "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

To enable power management, check the box labelled "Allow the computer to turn off this device" to save power.

Click "Ok" to finish.

See if this does the trick...

Note: you will have to configure this again when you connect using the LAN.

wannabe1

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Go to Control Panel, open "Network Connections", and right-click the "Local Area Connection" icon...Click on "Properties".

In the Local Area Connection Properties window, click on "Configure" and then on the "Power Management" tab.

To enable machine wakeup, check the box labelled "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

To enable power management, check the box labelled "Allow the computer to turn off this device" to save power.

Click "Ok" to finish.

wannabe1

thanks allot wannabe1. I will give it a try and let you know what the outcome is thanks again.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Click "Ok" to finish.

wannabe1

Thanks allot wannabe1 it looks like what you told me to do worked thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are most welcome...glad to help! :tazz:

wannabe1