Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Defragmenting & ScanDisk PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

san0614

san0614

• Pip
  • 2 posts
New here, but maybe someone can help me. I wanted to 'Clean Up' my computer & went to run a ScanDisk and it keeps attempting, but won't work. If I tried to defragment (which I did successfully 37 days ago), it keeps jumping from 0% to 1% back & forth. I followed suggestions to turn off screen saver and hibernate, plus hit CLT+ALT+DEL and ended all but Explorer and Systray. Still would not work. So, I did end up getting into SAFE MODE and did a successful defragmenting. Why is this happening??? Any thoughts or ideas? Should I also run a ScanDisk in SAFE MODE? (standard or thourouh???)

Any help is appreciated, thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Yes you should, I always, run both scandisk and defrag in safemode.

compiler

compiler

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes you should, I always, run both scandisk and defrag in safemode.

View Post

So, there is no way to resolve this problem but the user has to scan the disc in the Save Mode? What on earth is the problem?

san0614

san0614

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, does anyone have a solution as to why this is happening? thanks

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
I am not sure of what could cause this issue... I'm not a Geek in puters... But I know that when I do run defrag, and I always do a scan thorough disk every week...

I have it set to do a full cleaning once a week in Safe Mode.. it is actually easier and better cause it shuts down unneeded programs running in the back ground which will cause it to run slowly...

Crafty....