Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LINKSYS WIRELESS G with Speedbooster NOT WORKING

• Please log in to reply

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok no idea if anyone has any clue but here it goes, this is my machine:

Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X-P Motherboard
Intel Celeron 1 GIG Processor
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 128 MEG Video Card
Sound Blaster LIVE Card
Linksys Wireless-G Adapter with Speedbooster

Model number on my Network card is WMP54GS .. the FCCID is WMP54GV2 ...

I have done everything I can from Wiping my Hard drive, updating my bios, changing card slots
returning card and getting a new one and nothing works...

I know it is NOT my router or the Card as I have tried the card in my other systems and it works fine
and I know it is not my router as I connect to my router with 3 other computers..

The computer that does not work detects the WIRELESS network when it starts up but as soon as it detects it, it does not detect it anymore and I can get Nothing from my network card... If any network GURU is out there I would appreciate any advice ideas I may have over looked...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried installing the most current drivers for the card?

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have tried everything I could think of including trying multiple versions of drivers... updated my motherboard bios, removed all cards from the system except the video card and network card..

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi EbonyKnight,

Is the computer you're having problems with a new computer? Or was it previously on your network?

Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing Ctrl+C, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Install Netdiag
To use Netdiag the Support Tools must be installed
Use a retail XP CD and follow the following steps to install the Support Tools
A) Insert the CD and browse to the Support\Tools folder
B) Double-click on the setup file
C) Go through the prompts until you get to the "Select An Installation Type"
screen
D) Select Complete and click Next

Once setup completes or if the Support Tools are already installed:
A) Open a command prompt (Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK').
B) Type netdiag /test:winsock and press Enter

It will return the test results for several network components including the Winsock; please paste the results.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
you mention 3 other computers? Are any a laptop? or can you connect the one in question via hardwire to the router?

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have 4 computers all together ... 3 Desktops and 1 Laptop... 2 of the desktops and the laptop connect no problem at all.. if I put a normal hard wired NIC into the machine to the router I can connect no problem, but when I put in the Linksys card (card is not defective) It detects the card no problem installs the card no problem when I first boot up the computer it will detect the wireless Network but then seconds later it will say No wireless Networks in Range, whether the computer is 2 feet from the router or 35 feet...

I have not tried what was suggested above yet as i am at work but i will try that when I get home.. this is very very weird problem... only thing I could think of is if there is a Glitch between the Motherboard and the network card or the video card and the network card.. only odd thing I noticed is when I plug in the Wireless G adapter the GREEN LIGHT on the back of the card if VERY VERY DIM like it is under powered...

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard?

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here is the TXT File you wanted :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lanie-3z7gmp5js

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster #4

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-61-5A-E2

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok here is the LSPFIX Info .. there is nothing in the REMOVE SIDE and in the KEEP Side there are these four files:
mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
nwprovau.dll
rsvpsp.dll

That is all

Here is the Net Scan you asked for :

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>NETDIAG /TEST:WINSOCK

Computer Name: LANIE-3Z7GMP5JS
DNS Host Name: lanie-3z7gmp5js
System info : Windows 2000 Professional (Build 2600)
Processor : x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
List of installed hotfixes :
Q147222

Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] The net card 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster #4'
may not be working.
[WARNING] The net card 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster #4
- Packet Scheduler Miniport' may not be working.
[FATAL] - None of the netcard drivers provided satisfactory results.

Per interface results:

Adapter : Wireless Network Connection 4

Netcard queries test . . . : Failed
NetCard Status: DISCONNECTED
Some tests will be skipped on this interface.

Adapter : IPX Internal Interface

Netcard queries test . . . : Passed

Adapter : IpxLoopbackAdapter

Adapter : NDISWANIPX

Global results:

Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed
Dns domain name is not specified.
Dns forest name is not specified.

NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Failed
List of NetBt transports currently configured:
[FATAL] No NetBt transports are configured.

Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

The command completed successfully

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Attached is the NETSH DIAG GUI you asked for:

As I said before it is like something is Shutting the card off like an on off switch it is very weird...

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Have you run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard?

Running the network wizard won't help as it seems like something is shutting the network card off...

I know the card works as I put the card from the system that is not working into one that was and the card worked fine, I took the card out of the computer that was working and put it into the computer that was not working and same problem works for like 10 seconds after boot up and then no response...

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I can not see the NETSH DIAG GUI -- please attach it.

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I can not see the NETSH DIAG GUI -- please attach it.

I did attach it here it is again.... i clicked the add this attachment link but I do not see it attached.. it is a HTML File does that matter? In that file nothing shows as PASSED or FAILED... since the computer that I am having trouble with cannot connect to the net I cant send it from that computer... using my Traveldrive to get it on this one..

Ok it says this when I try to attach it the file is 923 kb in size:

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ebony,

It looks like you're right -- this doesn't look like a networking issue, but rather a hardware issue -- I would recommend posting in the Hardware, Components and Peripherals Forum.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually..i'll just move it

EbonyKnight

EbonyKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The only thing i can figure it is a Hardware coflict but how I would find out what the card is conflicting with I have no idea, the system more then meets the requirements needed for this card.... hopefully someone in this forum can give me some ideas...