Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon Pixma 4000 problem

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hiya

I have had my Canon Pixma 4000 for about 8 months and think its a great printer but......

Recently it has started to Paper Jam - Not in the sense that any paper is stuck in the rollers inside the machine for e.g but what happens is that after printing a page out using the top sheet loader i.e paper stood up - it brings another piece of paper down half way then stops which gives the Paper Jam error message.

To correct it you have to remove the piece by turning the machine off and pressing a button which slips the piece through and out, you can then carry on printing but this is now happening more and more frequently.

Also what has started happening is that after doing this, the Canon Print manager comes on screen and tells me it has detected an error code 5700, and please consult the manual.

Great idea except that code 5700 is not mentioned any where in any manual and when I emailed Canon Technical (sic) Dept up they replied back that it sounded like a hardware problem!!

No mention of what the error code 5700 stood for and I don't really think they knew anyway, but just gave me two addresses of companies to which I had to send it to, no mention of who pays for the shipping etc.

I now have to use the cassette bay whereby the paper is laid down to print and so far it is fine, but the whole idea of getting the Pixma was because you could change between top and cassette feeding at the switch of a button.

Anybody got a Pixma out there or knows what this strange and mysterious error code is that has got the biggest brains of Canon baffled??

Appreciate any help

Rob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It will be a hardware issue - inside the printer. Sounds like something mechanical inside it is catching the next sheet when it feeds out the one that's just one. Therefore it pulls it in, not having orignially expected another sheet to come in, assumes the previous sheet is stuck and complains at you about it.

One quick Google later:

"A 5700 error means the paper sensor is not working. [Another internet user] called a local authorized repair place and it would cost more to repair it than replace it."

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Cheers Neil

I thought it must be a hardware problem but disappointed Canon couldn't have told me what error code 5700 means re my printer.

Must admit I have tried googling for it but couldn't find anything about from sites wanting to sell me a printer lol

It's still under warranty so will try to get it back to PC World for them to sort out a repair.

Thanks for the time and effort helping

cheers

Rob

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I was having a paper feed problem with my Brother MFC unit. I called up tech support and they said to bring it in. Looking at the map it was quite a drive. Then I got the idea of using compressed air to blow out any dust on the feed wheels and the piece under the wheel. It worked great and I didn't have to take it in. You might want to give compressed air a chance to see if it can correct the problem.....

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Cheers mac will get some and give it a whirl