Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless ?

• Please log in to reply

pigginfedup

pigginfedup

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone :P

I am wanting to set up a wireless network, and have been doing alot of reading on here because i feel i am out of my depth :tazz:
I have just moved my main pc into a different room so i now have wires running everywhere to connect to the internet, i have just got a speedtouch modem router and usb stick will this connect my pc wireless to the internet :) :) or does my main pc need to be wired up??
Once i have got my head around this i have another pc and a laptop to add!!

Please :woot:

Thanks Dawny

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Dawny,

i have just got a speedtouch modem router

Could you please list the make and model of this router -- do you know if it is a dual router -- ie: can it take both a wired and a wireless connection? Does it have some sort of wireless access point on it?

Does your router/modem look anything like this?

usb stick

By a 'USB Stick' do you mean a USB Wireless Network Adapter? Is it anything like any of these?

A Wireless network requires the following equipment:
A router with capacity for Wireless; and
A Wireless PCI Adapter / Wireless Network Adapter in each computer that you intend to connect to the network.

If you have that equipment, then you can create a wireless network.

pigginfedup

pigginfedup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi thanks for your reply :tazz:

This is what equipment i have!! so i should be able to get rid of all wires right?

ST121g.jpg

ST576_45.jpg

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Ypu can have ur computer wireless with the USB adapter which you have.But before that make sure your hard wired computer is able to go online with the router.If that's working then you can use the adapter as wireless

pigginfedup

pigginfedup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Im really confussed with it all :tazz: im using aol and have just been reading that alot of people are or have been having trouble with it :)
Have only been a week trying to sort it but it will not beat me :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

im using aol and have just been reading that alot of people are or have been having trouble with it

What sort of problems have they been having?

so i should be able to get rid of all wires right?

Not all of your wires. You still need to connect your modem/router to your ISP.

Have only been a week trying to sort it but it will not beat me

That's the spirit :tazz:

What steps have you undertaken hitherto to get your Wireless Network up and running? If you need help, just let us know.