Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD?

• Please log in to reply

trotts

trotts

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello!

I'm not really good at all of this so please be patient! lol! (boy am I really riding the stereotype here! yes i'm a girl)
My cousin recently gave me his computer, he fixed it all up for me and it's running great. I noticed I have a DVD RW installed. An old one - Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 104. I tried playing a normal dvd movie in it and it works fine. But a friend of mine has a website in the UK and there are some homemovies of parties and other family stuff that we can download. I was wondering if my DVD -RW would be able to burn (is that it...burn??) those movies so I can watch on my regular home dvd player? I was told that it might not be able too?

thanks you for your help in advance!

:tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can burn it, and depending on the format you should be able to burn and watch it(use nero to burn it). If the stuff is in iso images as in ready to be burned onto a video dvd(dont think it would be) then you wont be able to as it will be set up for use on a uk television which has about a 100 extra lines compared to a US tv, but it will probably be mpeg or avi files which you should be able to easily burn and watch.

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wow!! that was quick! :)

ok so I can use that Pioneer one and burn. excellent!
now, another dumb..well there are no dumb questions but here goes... what type of blank cd do I use?
dvd R?
dvd RW
CD R
CD RW
i'm confused!!! :)

and once I do pop in the disc in the DVD burner, I use Nero to "drop" the file onto the disc? I just pulled that out of my bum, I heard that at work today! :woot:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.digit-lif.../pioneerdvr104/ heres an article on the drive it lists the formats the drive can use.

In nero if you want to watch it on a home DVD player select create DVD video from the dvd menu and then when the file selection window comes up just double click (or drop) the files onto the disk and it will show you how much space the files will take up on the disk.

looking at the speed of the drive it will take quite a while to burn a DVD.

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a mix of WMV, AVI and MPEG homemovies. Do I need to convert them into a format that will allow me to burn to dvd, then watch on my home dvd player?
thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you have nero it will convert them to what is needed, but it also depends on the dvd player some you can just burn a file in any of the supported formats to a disk and watch it, but not all can do that most still ned the formating put on when nero or another burning program puts the files on.

Edited by warriorscot, 21 January 2006 - 09:48 AM.

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello again :tazz:
using nero start smart
I don't see the option "create DVD Video" in Nero. I have - make video cd - make super video cd - copy dvd - burn image to dvd - make wma dvd - :)

when I click to go to Nero Express it only gives me the option to create advd but not with mpreg or avi's..something called bup?

:)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you using the latest version(7) or the old 6.

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
version 6

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hi,
i had a similar problem
on your nero software cd you can also install nero show time and vision express these give you extra options to burn DVD's. at the top of nero "start smart" it will ask you to select either CD or DVD just make sure you have the right one selected (i no it seems stupid but just to make sure)
i am using nero 6 you can download the latest versiion update from the nero website this may help also :tazz:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hi,
i had a similar problem
on your nero software cd you can also install nero show time and vision express these give you extra options to burn DVD's. at the top of nero "start smart" it will ask you to select either CD or DVD just make sure you have the right one selected (i no it seems stupid but just to make sure)
i am using nero 6 you can download the latest versiion update from the nero website this may help also :tazz:

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi

using DVD - R's
I have MPEG's I wantt o burn on dvd, and then play on a regular dvd player. I have Nero 6 (updated to 6.6.....) but I do not have the disc as you say, this computer was given to me, and that person moved to Australia (i'm in Canada). It seems to be very difficult to get this to work. Is it my dvd burner? discs? program?
i tried everything, but either Nero tells me that I do not have the right file type says that it should be transfered to vob bup whatever or I do not have the right blank discs???
I was told that I could just burn MPEG's and it would (nero) automatically encode it (mpeg) to the right file type.!

lost in
Canada :) :)

need simple steps clear and to the point. THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :) :tazz:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well see if you can find a disc from somebody and install nero vision express this might help if not her is a link to where you can get it

http://www.softwarep...on-express.html

or hear is a link to the nero support web page
http://www.nero.com/...ng/Support.html

trotts

trotts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi!

thanks for the reply. I downloaded the new software.
I was able to go ahead and load a video then went through the entire encoding process and at the end before it went to burn, it said that it does not support the current disk type. I used a Maxell DVD-R and my burner is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 104
what's the problem here???? :tazz: