Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware help please

• Please log in to reply

jems

jems

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi there,

I keep getting a windows explorer error popping up when I try and open certain avi files on my computer. There is a crash and the window closes and reverts back to the desktop with other processes still running. Sometimes another error pops up which says Dr Watson Debbuging Error and the same thing happens to explorer. Nothing else crashes - just the file and folder I am trying to open. :)

If I run SPYBOT it finds the following:

Avenue A, Inc
Hitbox
Fastclick
windowssecuritycentre.antivirusdisablenotice
windowssecuritycentre.firewalldisablenotice

If I run ADAWARE after it finds nothing.

If I delete these and restart my computer I get no errors and can open my avi files fine. :woot: Howver if I re-run SPYBOT the files are all back again.

I was wondering if there is something on my computer which is managing to access these spyware programs and reinstall them on a daily basis. Is this possible?? Also I have seen the Dr Watson thing linked to trojans in other forums and the avenue a linked to virus attacks aswell. But my computer is running fine except for the avi and explorer crash.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be?? :) :tazz:

Edited by jems, 17 January 2006 - 06:13 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I have run through all the removal programs but they just keep coming back - that is why I posted. The only one I haven't yet run is the CS shredder which I am just downloading.

I also have norton anti virus and it finds nothing.

Do you suggest I go forward and look into doing a hijack log?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, but in THAT forum

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok i spent much of yesterday going back over the malware list of things to do before you post a hijack log again - just to ensure i am not wasting anyones time here and also just to make myself sure that there is something wrong on my computer.

after running ewido there were extra things founds and i also got spyware doctor from my friend. Spybot is still finding the following after I restart:

windowssecuritycentre.antivirusdisablenotice
windowssecuritycentre.firewalldisablenotice

But my final question before I go and do a hijack log is this:

I run anti norton firewall and anti virus - my windows stuff is turned off since I read running two at once can cause problems. But I now also have spy ware doctor and ewido running aswell. Is there too much going on now for my computer to work effectively to prevent infections?? Also - could these notices showing up on Spybot be linked to the fact my Windows security features are turned off???

Finally I am still seeing windows explorer crash when I try and open some avi files so think A hijack log is probably the best thing to do cos I am all out of ideas. Do you agree?