Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, now it's basically a guess and check game of going through your list of programs that start on startup, and removing them to see which one it is.

First of all, download WinPatrol. Install it and then run it. Now, click on the Startup Programs tab, and look for the following programs -- if found, click on them once, and then choose Disable. This list are the programs that I either don't know / think that they could be the cause. It's up to you whether you wish to disable them or not -- this does not remove them, it simply makes them not startup...
8e6Home Internet Protection Services v.4.5
Access Manager
Audacity 1.2.3
Career Direct
Classic PhoneTools
Click to Meet Conference Client
DAO 3.5
Dell Modem-On-Hold
Dial Analysis
Intel® PRO Network Connections Drivers
ItsDeductible Express
PowerDVD
Quicken Basic 2000
QuickVerse 6.0
Rocket 2005 DEMO VERSION (1024x768) Screen Saver
Rocket DEMO VERSION (1024x768) Screen Saver
Shockwave
SoundMAX
SpaceCAD 3.1 (Build 284)
Symantec pcAnywhere
TurboTax Basic 2004
VCP6
VNC Free Edition 4.1.1
VPN Client
WeatherBug Browser Bar - powered by MyWebSearch
WexTech AnswerWorks
WordWeb

Once done, restart your computer and then try to share files -- can you?

Advertisements

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
are there any in particure that you would try disabling first? I don't understand how most of them could affect the network connectivity.

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I don't want to double post, but can someplease help me?

I am a busy full time student and working part time and I haven't had time to try disabling each and everyone of my installed programs. I still don't understand how any of those could affect network connectivity. Which one would you try disabling first?

Also how is that that computers 1 and 3 CANNOT ping computer 2, but computer 2 CAN ping computers 1 and 3. That just doesn't make sense :tazz:

I am getting really frusterated with this problem and I would deeply appreciate anyone who can help me solve this problem. :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Andybikecrazy,
In my opinion, I don't think you're disabling your Firewall properly. Try removing it from the start-up list, along with the Services list, and then restart Computer 2, and see if you can connect to it from 1 and 3. Ensure that Computer 2's firewall is not running.

Alternately, configure the Firewall properly to allow computer 1 and 3 to connect (add computer 1 and 3 to the firewalls Trustet Zones).

Finally, here is a list of all of the applications that you do not need to start on Start Up; when you want to use them, you can simply load them manually.

Access Manager -- What is this?
Audacity 1.2.3
Career Direct
Classic PhoneTools
Click to Meet Conference Client
DAO 3.5
Dell Modem-On-Hold
Dial Analysis
ItsDeductible Express
PowerDVD
Quicken Basic 2000
QuickVerse 6.0
Rocket 2005 DEMO VERSION (1024x768) Screen Saver
Rocket DEMO VERSION (1024x768) Screen Saver
Shockwave
SoundMAX
SpaceCAD 3.1 (Build 284)
Symantec pcAnywhere
TurboTax Basic 2004
VCP6
VNC Free Edition 4.1.1
WeatherBug Browser Bar - powered by MyWebSearch
WexTech AnswerWorks
WordWeb

Disabling all of these on your Start up list should not result in any loss of function on your computer, and it may help to resolve your network connectivity issue.

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Andybikecrazy,
In my opinion, I don't think you're disabling your Firewall properly. Try removing it from the start-up list, along with the Services list, and then restart Computer 2, and see if you can connect to it from 1 and 3. Ensure that Computer 2's firewall is not running.

I said in an early post that I uninstalled the firewall.

Ok will give it a try....

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok I disabled EVERYTHING that starts up. I went to msconfig > startup and unchecked everything. So there is nothing running in the taskbar. But, the connection still only works one way. C2 can get to C1 and C3, but neither C1 nor C3 can get to C2.

And the connection continues to work(both ways) perfectly fine in safe mode.

Access Manager is a manager for a VPN.

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Well I solved my problem!!! A service (not a process) that is part of the VPN software on C2 was the problem. When I disabled that service the network works! So I set the service to manual start up and I will have enable it when I connect to the VPN. :tazz:

Thanks for your help Dan G :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Thanks for posting your eventual solution, Andy :tazz:

Nate Pizzuto

Nate Pizzuto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem in this case can really be one of two things Either the computer number two's login is password protected or the windows file encryption are enabled. So for example if you have a password protected login on computer 2 say username=user and password=password when you browse to that computer you get a prompt for username and password, In some cases you have to use [computer name\username and password] for windows file sharing if you have selected the make my files private under user accounts then you will not be able to access them then you would consult the microsoft web site for assistance...
Just a thought.
Thanks