Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer shuts down immediately on powering up

• Please log in to reply

steffismith

steffismith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi! We have an older computer that spent a couple of years in storage. I set it up in the back office 8 months ago, and it worked fine (old and slow, but that's normal). My son used it less than a month ago, and it worked OK then. Tonight when I try to turn it on, it powers up, then shuts right back off. I've tried several times to no avail. I tried running the BIOS, which didn't make any difference. I also tried to skip the memory test to see if I could get past the point of shutdown, but it didn't work. The temp is fine and the inside is pretty clean. It's a Gateway 2000 running Windows 98. It's not connected to the internet, so it isn't a virus or malware issue. Does anyone have any suggestions, aside from tossing it out the window into the snow? Thanks! Stef

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like the power supply has gone bad.

SRX660

steffismith

steffismith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply. That sounds pretty major. Would it be worth repairing on a machine that is 8 or 9 years old?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pretty old machine to start putting money into. I have a garage full of parts i have saved over many years so i can save some of these old puters to give them away to kids that can't afford a computer. If i had to buy parts i would not do it. A problem with the old computers is even finding the parts to be able to fix them. Many newer parts won't work in the old computers and after a few years the older parts are not being produced. Try finding a PCI Nvidia TNT video card. They just arent any out there anymore. Same thing with many parts for older puters.

SRX660