Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uncles Dell Restore probs

• Please log in to reply

adavi221

adavi221

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My Dad went to his brothers house to wipe the slate clean and install afresh windows xp...somehow he has put 2 (partitions) of windows xp.So when my Uncle boots up he gets and option of windows xp or windows xp.They cant get that computer to delete the partitions says that files are needed....any ideas how to rid the computer of both xp programs and put a fresh ONE in????any help thnks adam

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Place the Windows XP CD in the CDROM drive and restart the computer. Make sure that the BIOS is setup to boot from the CDROM before the Harddrive. Press a key to boot from the Windows XP CD. Enter the Setup and agree to the ELUA. Press Enter, then press Esc, then press D, on the partition(s). When you have only one item (Unpartition Space) in the box in the bottom, press F3 and quit and restart the computer. When it reboost it will automatical boot from the CD. Enter the setup, agree to the ELUA, and format the unpartition space in NTFS. From now on when the computer restarts DONT press a key what so ever. It will skip the CD and finish the install from the harddrive, and dont remove the CD since the install needs files from it. When you finally get through it all and get to the Windows Desktop, you then can remove the CD from the drive. Hope that this helps.

miracleman

miracleman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I had this same problem-worked with the DELL tech's and got it fixed as I really don't any thing about them (but i build harley's very well).
But basicly you need to boot to doss,run fdisk,dleate all partitions and format to NFTS (works better with XP) Then do a clean install of XP as you don't have much to loose check around a little more or give it a try
miracleman

adavi221

adavi221

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
a guy told me a quick and easy way to delete and reform is format c:/q
will this work too>??????