Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformat or dont...thats my question

• Please log in to reply

computeridiot

computeridiot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
im new to the site but it seems like theres a ton of smart people here so hopefully some of you can help me out cuz im completely computer clueless...i recently switched from windows 2000 to windows xp because my friends convinced me that somehow xp was better...unfortunately i dont see why its better, but thats another story...my problem is that before my buddy made the switch, i saved all my data onto this 3 1/2 floppy disk but after the switch, i cant get to any of the data on my disk....the computer always tells me that the disk needs to be reformatted but im not sure if ill lose my data if i do...can anyone tell me how i can get the data off the disk and will reformatting the disk make me lose the data???....any help you can give me would really help me out....

thanx everyone!!!
computeridiot

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
If you reformat the floppy disk all the informantion in the disk will be loss. Now, I have no clue why Windows say it needs to be formated. My personal opion is that Windows 2000 is a lot better the Windows XP. For all, expect my gaming computer, has Windows XP. Windows 2000 uses alot less resources then Windows XP. Dont get me wrong, Windows XP is good OS but when Im gaming I want the most amout of resources for the game. Hope that this helps.

computeridiot

computeridiot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
great...but do you have any ideas on how i can get my data off the disk without reformatting???....what do i need to do in order to get the data?....im not sure how people lived before the advent of computers, but id sure like some way of finding out...

computeridiot

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
All I can say is try going to a computer that had Windows 2000 on it and see if the disk can be read there. If so the save all of the information to a Thumb(Flash)Drive. Hope that this helps.

RockRunner85

RockRunner85

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Don't format the disk. Check out the program below. I've used it before to recover data on a floppy disk and it worked great.

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

RockRunner85

RockRunner85

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
As far as the OS goes, WinXP has its good points. It has almost more built-in hardware support, bluetooth, wireless internet, drivers, which make it much less of a hassle to install. Don't get me wrong I don't mind going through and installing each driver individually, but you gotta like the fact that XP has most of them included. Not that your installing the OS everyday.

From day to day usage I find XP to be faster than when I had Win2k. Mainly because XP supports hyperthreading and Win2k doesn't. WinXP's built in support for bluetooth and wirless is better than many of the 3rd party apps. The new GUI is nice and I've gotten used to it. I used to swear by the Win2k look, but now I like the WinXP look better.

Yeah XP might be slower because of all the GUI enchanments. However if you turn these off and go back to the classic theme it is the same as Win2k if not faster, due to better hardware support.