Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer folder problems

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
my (My Computer) folder no longer has the default display style where it's separated into drives, and folders for my documents. it changed suddenly for no reason. so i tried to do display properties, all of the tabs work except for the desktop tab, when i press on it, the system hangs and and when i check the task manger it says that rundll32.exe is taking. 50%process power and it can not display the desktop tab. It's not a spyware or virus issue. it's my standalone system...
help plz

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
†Gladiator†...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
did that and didn't seem to work
i just want to restore "my computer" folder to the way it use to look with the devices, drives, folders subcatergories inside the window. now it's just a bunch of icons arranged like a normal folder. no drives, subcatergories or devices.
attached is what my "my computer folder" looks like now.

Attached Thumbnails

• my_computer.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
†Gladiator†...

What happens when you click "View" in the toolbar and select "Tiles"?

wannabe1

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
nothing much
see below

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip