Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard mishap...

• Please log in to reply

psyche reza

psyche reza

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I have a piece of crap e-machine computer *I plan to get a new better comp. next year, but until then I am stuck with this.* I need help replacing my motherboard or at least I think that is what ha to be repalced, you tell me. I was on my computer one day and it suddenly shut off,and after I plugged it into a new outlet the comp. worked fine so at first I shrugged it off as a problem witht he wiring in my old house. However after that my graphics tablet (a wacom graphire) started acting funny then finally just quit working altogheter, then my speakers stopped working, and then my my printer would not estabilish a connection with the computer. After checking all these items on other computers I found they were in perfect working condition, so I thought it had to be the motherboard that was broken. Now I am trying to find a new motherboard for an Emachine W2646 computer with the following stats:

Speaker: SPEAKER, SP-20A
Video: Video, integrated
CPU Fan Type: FAN,H/S CEL-P4 3.0 CLRMSTR DI4-6H53B-X3
Keyboard Model: KB,9908,EN104K,PS/2,EMA
Modem: MODEM,CONEXANT FAX/MODEM 56K V.92
ODD1: CDRW,NEXGEN2 48X (48X24X48)
Power Supply: PS, 250 WATT 1670
Chassis: BEZEL, NEXGEN-2 MAIN CHASSIS FRAME
LAN: LAN, 10/100 integrated
HDD: HDD, 40GB 5400rpm WD 1360
MB: MB,IMPERIAL GV (845GV) TG313757 MBEM100979IM
Mouse: MOUSE,SILVER 3 BUTTON WHEEL W/ELOGO 1689
CPU: CPU,CELERON 2.6GHZ 478P 128k F400
FDD Model: FDD, SFD-321B/LTGNQ
Memory: MEM,DDR-RAM 256MB (Max. 2GB)

I believe the kind of motehrboard I need is a socket 478 micro atx intel motherboard, but will any motherboard with these specifications fit or are their other factors I need to consider? Thanks ahead of time for your help! Also someone said you need to buy the processor with teh motherboard too or soemthing like that, do the mobo come with those or do they ahev to be bought seperately?

Edited by psyche reza, 17 January 2006 - 10:29 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Make sure it isn't a weak PS causing the problems. I had a customer with similar problems and replacing the PS solved them. It seemed the PS was not putting out enough steady voltage even tho it was rated at 250. Replacing the Mb is possible. You will need to look at MB's that have 3 PCI slots as any more pci slots and the mb will not fit the ase. You can reuse your celeron processor but that limits you to a 533 bus. The real problem here is will your windows work with the new motherboard. You may have to reinstall windows. If you do not have a regular windows XP cd the OS may not install at all. The thing is after buying a Mb, then maybe a oem windows XP cd you will have close to the price of a newer computer. you make your own choices here.

SRX660

psyche reza

psyche reza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Make sure it isn't a weak PS causing the problems. I had a customer with similar problems and replacing the PS solved them. It seemed the PS was not putting out enough steady voltage even tho it was rated at 250. Replacing the Mb is possible. You will need to look at MB's that have 3 PCI slots as any more pci slots and the mb will not fit the ase. You can reuse your celeron processor but that limits you to a 533 bus. The real problem here is will your windows work with the new motherboard. You may have to reinstall windows. If you do not have a regular windows XP cd the OS may not install at all. The thing is after buying a Mb, then maybe a oem windows XP cd you will have close to the price of a newer computer. you make your own choices here.

SRX660

So after I replace the PS and that doesn't work try for the MB? Would I be able to replace the power supply myself.

If I do get the mb and it has the 3 PCI slots & the same socket & everything it should work alright, but windows might not install b/c of the new MB right?