Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error loading explorer.exe in windows 98

• Please log in to reply

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:) Yay...I am in.

It says it takes 30 to 60 minutes to setup...do I need to do anything once I get it started, or can I just let it do it's thing and go to bed. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You may need to set the clock and what not...what stage is it at?

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:tazz: arggghhh...I don't know what happened, but the computer all of a sudden restarted itself...I have to hit the sack, I'll try again tomorrow night. Thanks for your help Wannabe - at least I've gotten farther than I have before :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

We'll get it...this can be a bit touchy, but it can be done. :tazz:

I'll be around here somewhere.......

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:tazz: Okay, so here's the deal. When the computer restarts it goes back through the same old setup rountine. I ejected the disc, so it then trys to start as it normally would, EXCEPT I get this very long error message...it's more of a short story, really :)
Anyway, I'm not about to type the whole thing unless you really need to know word for word what it says.

Basically, it's saying that windows setup was unable to update your system files. This may be caused by a virus detection enabled in the system BIOS or virus detection software running

to disable built in virus detection use CMOS or BIOS configuration program

then it just goes on to talk about virus protection basically

then it says to continue press any key

so now what..... :)

if we figure out a way to do this, will I be able to enable my virus protection? BTW...we do not have internet on the sick computer, it's sort of a secondary computer for the kids.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Let's go into BIOS Setup and disable the AV there...it can always be enabled again.
Restart the machine and tap either the F1 or Delete key while the machine is booting. It will tell you which key to press at the bottom of the first screen..."Press [key] to enter setup"

Once into the BIOS, you'll have to use the arrow keys and Enter keys and the + and - keys to make any changes. The insructions for navigating will bo on the screen somewhere. All BIOS versions are different, so I can't help you much with this.

Look for a setting having to do with AV or Anti Virus, select it, and use the + or - to disable it. Save the settings when you Exit...usually by pressing F10...Some have an Exit tab on the top header. Restart.

Then start the installation again, if offered to use Safe Recovery, at this point, it is ok...98 has detected the incomplete installation and will pick up where it left off.

let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:tazz: It's going real slow...still in the setup process, but so far so good... :)

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's preparing directory (the second of 5 steps), and the estimated time untill complete says 171 minutes.
Is that normal?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay...the page wouldn't load for some reason...

Let's let it run for a few minutes and let it get past the directory...

Keep me posted.

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
copying windows 98 files to your computer :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it seem to be installing a little faster now?

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
A little, but still pretty slow. But, it IS progressing.

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I gotta go. It hasn't finished yet. I think it's going too slow, something may be wrong (or not, what do I know) :tazz:
I'll check back in tomorrow & let ya know how things turned out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It is a bit worisome...I have it happen before and it turned out fine...just installed real slow. Lust let it run...

wannabe1

michytwichy

michytwichy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:) I was right...something was wrong. It locked up after a your computer has performed an illeagal opperation and will be shut down message.

So, this morning I decided to go back into the BIOS setup to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong....
AND THERE IT WAS, I had accidently disabled something that had nothing to do with virus protection...so I enabled it.

:woot: YA...I'm up and running...after I did that, I went back into setup and it only took about 20 minutes to reinstall windows.

:tazz: Thanks for your help wannabe. :)

Edited by michytwichy, 21 January 2006 - 03:27 PM.