Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System crashes - Temperature?

• Please log in to reply

th3

th3

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have added anew HD and new memory to my PC today and have suffered 2 crashes so far. The first was just a restart but the 2nd gave me a BSOD, although it has restarted fine since.

I downloaded Speedfan as I suspected temps and an image is shown below

Posted Image

I have also attached an Everest scan.

Attached File  Everest.htm   304.13KB   38 downloads

I think I probably need to install some additional cooling :tazz: but really have no idea where I should start.

Can my PSU handle additional fans? If so what type would be best for a tower based system?

The existing fan is working and pumping hot air out from the back of the machine.

Many many thanks in advance.

Tony

Advertisements

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok I have had the case off and inside I have this:

ASUS A7N8X-X Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU
PSU is Enlight HPC-300-202 300W

The only fans are the PSU and the standard AMD Heatsink and fan.

I have had 1 more BSOD crash whilst browsing when the CPU temp reached 69C

But for last 10 hours or so the temp has stabalised at 64C but I am not stressing the machine at all... :)

I have never built a PC so I am unsure what I can/can't do for cooling. I assume I can do 1 or all of the following:

1. Change heatsink and fan - How? and are there any compatibility issues that I need to consider?
2. Just change the fan - Ditto
3. Install a case fan - This can be set to expel air or draw cooler air in...right?

I can't seem to find a decent beginners 'how to' guide on the net anywhere :tazz:

wellsm122

wellsm122

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I have had various over heating problems with my AMD Athlon XP 2100+ CPU
every time it was resolved by removing a build up of dust / dirt in the cpu heat sink.
worth a try before spending money i would suggest.
I would recommend a fan in the side cover if your case can support it.................
most fans suck air in from the front of the m/c and pushes the hot air out, check to make
shore the front of the case is not blocked.

good luck

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats a tad warm for an AMD that's not under stress!
wellsm122 is right, it's always worth clearing out the dust. Make sure you use an air-duster (canned air) though.

Apart from that, consider these steps as well :

1) You said you're using the stock heatsink/fan so it should be adequate, plus the rotational speed of the cpu fan is fine. You may want to consider replacing thermal compound though with a good quality thermal paste (such as Artic Silver). Make sure you know exactly how to do this first though. I can probably point you in the direction of a good tutorial for doing this, if you want.

2) Add some case fans. Make sure that the air is flowing in one end & out the other.

3) Check whether air can actually flow through the case. Excessive amounts of cabling (especially IDE ribbon cables) can inhibit the air flow dramatically.

4) If all of the above measures don't make much difference, then yes, change the heatsink/fan.

5) Oh, and get a better PSU at some point!

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Samm,

Thanks for your response :tazz:

Eventually I found a guide to cooling here anhere

So I have, as they are so cheap, ordered this and this

I am also going to move the hard drives further apart in the morning and clean the existing heatsink as recommended.

I'm going to install the case fan on the rear to push out hot air at first and see how it goes, from what I have learned this is often more effective that pushing air in from the front. Also I don't see any obvious air inlets at the front of the case :)

Does all that sound sensible?

Tony

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Tony
Yes that sounds very sensible! Below is a link to Artic Silvers website with clear instructions regarding the application of thermal compound. I advise you follow them carefully!

http://www.arcticsil...nstructions.htm

Let us know how you get on

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Amazing what some cleaning does!

Now operating at 55C without load which is better than before. Initially I will just add the case fan and see how it goes..........

Good news is that no more crashes yet :tazz:

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Samm :)

Tony

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad to hear it. Definately add that case fan though - 55C is still a bit too warm for an AMD cpu thats not under load! :tazz:

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok well rear case fan added....

Brings the idle temp down to 49/50C.

Front case fan added....... No change.

Looks like I'll have to do the heatsink & fan after all :tazz:

I was really hoping not to have to do that :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
50C isn't too bad. If you don't really want to replace the heatsink/fan etc then don't bother for now. Just remember to keep an eye on the temps, especially when the system is under load.

Advertisements

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok thanks Samm.

I'll see how it goes for the time being then.

You must be a nightowl like me :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Ok thanks Samm.

I'll see how it goes for the time being then.

You must be a nightowl like me :tazz:

Er, yes. I have a habit of staying awake by mistake. (I compensate though by being self-employed and therefore not having to get up before the crack of noon!)

Sonic98

Sonic98

• Pip
  • 4 posts

3) Check whether air can actually flow through the case. Excessive amounts of cabling (especially IDE ribbon cables) can inhibit the air flow dramatically.

How can you be for sure?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

How can you be for sure?

Sorry, I don't quite following what you mean...

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
you could also use a program like CPUIdle that gets the temp down by about 5 degrees