Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

weird wireless connection problem

• Please log in to reply

adntigger710

adntigger710

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, this has been driving me nuts for quite a few days, so now I've decided to leave it up the experts...

On a day to day basis, I am generally at two locations, both homes with wireless networks. #1 is my house, #2, my friend's. It has been working fine for a year until now. Here is my problem. Here at home I have a wireless router with 5 computers connecting to it, 1 through a wired lan (the one I'm on right now), and the others are all wireless. My computer (laptop) sometimes does not detect the wireless network at all, and other times it is detected, connects, says it has a full signal, but does not load web pages or takes FOREVER to do so. For example, in this case I may be able to connect to AIM (connection takes a while, though), but right clicking on a friend's name to read a profile won't load, nor will web pages (at other times it will but is VERY slow...2-5 minutes).

The weird thing is this:
1. All the other wireless computers in this house are running smoothly. So you would then automatically assume it's my computer. THEN...

2. When I connect directly to the router through a wired LAN, It runs perfectly fine and fast. So you would assume it's something with MY computer's wireless connection and/or settings. BUT...

3. When I go to my friend's house and connect to her wireless network, all is well. My connection is perfect and pages load no problem.

When my computer says it is "connected" at my house it really is, as I check the router status in admin settings and the router says it is connected to it.

I've done a full virus and spyware scan (pc-cillian) and it's clean. I have not installed anything new since the problem began, but I still restored my computer to a week ago before it existed. Still doesn't work. When I try "repairing" the connection, it says it cannot connect to the network, even though a few times when I began the repair was when it said it was already "connected". After I try this is goes back to not even seeing the network.

Nobody on the network is downloading anything, and everyone else's is running quickly and smoothly. How can it be that my wireless connection is so horrible here, works perfectly fine at my friend's house, but then works fine here if it is wired? As you can see I've tried quite a few things and it's driving me nuts. Anyone that can solve this problem is a genius...I've scoured the internet and help forums for a solution for days and can't seem to come up with anything. Anything you guys can do to help me out would be greatly appreciated, as I begin school again next week and some of my classes are online! Unfortunately I can't use THIS computer all the time, so I need it up and running soon. Thanks in advance for anything you may suggest!

AD =)

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello adntigger710 and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

It appears by your post that have already covered the basics troubleshooting steps for intermittent connectivity issues, so if you will answer these following default questions I will assist you in investigating your problem further . Please answer in detail as best you can:

1) What Operating system do you have on the PC in question? (Please include any Updates or service Patches)

2) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Router you are using at Home?

3) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Wireless Card or Adapter installed on your PC?

4) What software are you using to connect to your router? (example: Windows WZC)

5) What IP Address scheme are you using? (DHCP or STATIC)

Please answer these questions as thoroughly as possible to provide me the much needed information for helping you find your problem.