Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows startup programs

• Please log in to reply

milanmagan

milanmagan

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
So I found winpatrol this evening, and it lets me see what programs are starting up every time I turn on my computer (XP):

What's essential out of these?

carpserv.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
hptasks.exe /s [what is this one? its title is display settings :) ]
winpatrol.exe
ctfmon.exe
Malswep.exe
userinit.exe
Explorer.exe

How many should I have ideally?

Any help would be appreciated! What can go? I want a fast start up again! :tazz:

Edited by milanmagan, 18 January 2006 - 02:51 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What's essential out of these?

your choice
carpserv.exe--modem speaker
SynTPLpr.exe--your touchpad
SynTPEnh.exe--your touchpad
hptasks.exe /s--screen adjust utility for lcd scren
winpatrol.exe--winpatrol
ctfmon.exe--part of office, uses relatively few resources but can be removed, but you need to do it a special way
Malswep.exe--malware sweeper...I do not know this program, butit is not a known rogue spyware program ( one that purports to be good, but is bad)

userinit.exe--usually windows process but it can be used to load bad programs -- DO NOT DISABLE THOUGH WITHOUT TALKING TO A MALWARE EXPERT OR YOU WILL HOSE YOUR SYSTEM.
Explorer.exe--typically your windows environment, but could be bad depending on where it is loading from. Probably fine. See above.

It is difficult to say from what you posted what is needed. I do not use Winpatrol so I am not sure how it reports true windows processes

Advice...if you are not having issues, I would say you're OK. If you would like to attach a hijackthis log (ATTACH, not POST), I can verify if those are the correct windows processes