Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Scandisk Problem

• Please log in to reply

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Every time I boot my computer (XP pro corporate) it wants to do a disk check on G drive, so I let it and it finds no problems. Then the next time I reboot, the cycle repeats, over and over.

I've run Check Disk manually after booting up and found no problems. I also repeated with a surface scan and again no problems. Finally I ran Norton (Symantec) Disk Doctor which also didn't find any problems.

So does anyone know why windows wants to keep checking the drive on every boot?

Basic information:

XP Pro Corporate Edition with Service Pack 2 and all updates, drivers etc
Prescott 3.2, 2 GB RAM, 120 + 200 + 250 + 250 GB SATA HDD, DVDROM + DVDRW, GForce 6600 256MB

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If its formatted FAT32 and didn't shut down properly last time, Windows will want to scan it.

If its formatted FAT32 or NTFS and Windows is having problems writing to or reading from it, it may indicate a failure is imminent.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
There aren't any smart warnings, so I don't think the drive is about to fail. Windows wants to keep scanning the drive, and I can't work out why.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
gen244drdr...

G drive

Is this a USB drive?

wannabe1

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Nope. Its a 250 GB SATA HDD with only the one NTFS partition.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
gen244drdr...

Click Start, then Run, and type regedit...click "Ok"

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control and click on "Session Manager" in the left pane.

In the right pane, change (right click, select Modify) the "BootExecute" entry From: autocheck autochk * /......... To: autocheck autochk *

wannabe1

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Gday wannabe

The value for that string value is as follows:

pdboot.exe
autocheck autochk *

What should I change it to?

Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Change nothing...that is the correct value...

Click Start, then Run, and type msconfig...click "Ok"

Under the Startup tab, is autochk listed as a startup application? If it is uncheck the box next to it and accept the change. Reboot.

If not under the Startup tab...

Click Start, then Run, and type chkntfs /x (Note the space before /x)...click "Ok" and Reboot. Did this stop chkdsk from running on boot?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 January 2006 - 02:55 AM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Autochk wasnt in msconfig.
I checked out chkntfs and I've decided to try /D for now, ie. 'restore the machine to the default behaviour' - its probably already on this though. If it doesnt help I might try /X G: but I dont want the drive excluded from being checked if I can avoid it, I just want to know why windows thinks the drive is 'dirty'.

Thanks for the pointer wannabe.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
PS. I'm a techo, so you can geek to me and skip the step by step procedures if you want.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

PS. I'm a techo, so you can geek to me and skip the step by step procedures if you want.

Cool...wish everybody was...would sure save on the typing! :tazz:

Have you let chkdsk complete a couple of times? It may be flagging the drive because it has some bits to complete with another pass.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Yeah its done it probably 8+ times. But I rarely reboot unless I'm forced to or theres a power failure. I'll let you know what happens next reboot.

Thanks.

A.

Edited by gen244drdr, 20 January 2006 - 04:40 AM.