Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection/email problems

• Please log in to reply

sydzg

sydzg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Both of these problems have cropped up in the past few days. I am visiting another institution and using my computer on their network - I just plugged in my cable and had the computer automatically detect the IP with no problems. I used the network for a month in September and almost two weeks again this month with no difficulties at all. The problems began two days ago (Monday), though I do not remember changing anything at that time - no Windows updates for a week and a half, no changes to my antivirus or firewall software, no downloads I can remember.

Problem number one: This problem actually began over the weekend, maybe on Saturday. The computer would stop being able to load websites. It was not the local network causing the problem. The only way to have it recognize the network was to restart the computer. Interestingly, if I unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged it in again, it did not recognize any change (usually bubbles pop up to tell me the cable has been disconnected and connected). Though it must be a coincidence, oddly, this always seemed to happen after I had visited, logged into, and used OkCupid.com for a few minutes. That made me a little superstitious about the site.

Problem number two: This made me even more superstitious about OkCupid. Beginning in the middle of the day on Monday, Gmail began giving me error messages when I tried to send emails. The error was "Document contains no data." I was not sending any attachments. I discovered through trial and error that the message does *not* appear if I send very short emails of a few lines. My browser of choice is Firefox, and I use the most recent version with no extensions, but the problem occurred in Netscape and IE as well. Clearing the cache, cookies, and history did not change anything. Neither did disabling anti-virus (McAfee) and firewall (Zonealarm) software, and I updated McAfee and scanned and found no viruses. Next I discovered that other email programs had the same problem - webmail for work, even webmail within OkCupid. And then I discovered that I got the same error message when I just wanted to view new pages within OkCupid (hence the superstition) without sending any emails. Livejournal is not affected at all. If I can post here, neither is this messageboard. The computer log registered many many errors of the same type in the past few days (they occurred but rarely before that), all having to do with an inability to contact a local server. And when I shut down last night and booted up again this morning, the very first email I sent through gmail worked beautifully (it was long, because I left the previous message in quotes as a test), and the second one and every one since had the same problems again.

The lesson seems to be that internet dating has broken my computer, but that seems illogical. Superstition aside, this seems related to my connection to the network here at the school in France, where I am not logged in with a username and password (I can't use printers or anything because of this. I must be bypassing the local department network to get on the web). Thanks for anything you can do to help!

Edited by sydzg, 18 January 2006 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

sydzg

sydzg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
okay, the problem with the emails has mysteriously fixed itself in the last hour, and i'm having no problems maintaining my connection to the internet today. but if you have any tips or suggestions i'd still like to hear them, because i didn't change anything and would like to prevent this from happening again. thanks!