Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fickle wireless

• Please log in to reply

emraldragon

emraldragon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
To someone smarter than me:

About a month ago, I set up my home wireless network with a Netgear router. Its ADSL I believe. Prior to that I was using a wired ethernet connection in the back of my laptop. Set up was successful and beautiful (mobility always is). The problem then occurred the following day when I took my laptop to the school where I work. Where I had previously been able to connect to their wireless internet. Now I was having issues. Everytime I would connect to the wireless there, it would say "Limited or No Connectivity" and that there was an error renewing the IP address every time I clicked the repair button. Well I tried different things but nothing seemed to work for a few days. Then one day I was at school NOT using the internet or trying to fix anything and suddenly I was connected, with full connectivity. I was in Word at the time, so there was no way that I did anything to fix anything. And I was in the room with the wireless router and no one went anywhere near it. Suffice it to say, I did not question this miracle, I only used the internet. Thereafter, I had mostly good days, with the occasional "Limited or No Connectivity" day.
Now that I have returned after the new year break I have gone to school for three days. Two of those days were non-connective, while the third worked with no problems. I have not had any connection problems in my home at all. Its becoming a minor issue as my work capabilities are quite limited when I have no internet. My computer says that its the school's wireless being the problem, but my own intuition says different when there was no problem prior to my setup of the Netgear. The other problem is that I am currently in Japan, and my own communication skills do not range toward the technical. There is no way that I can play with the schools wireless router and try to see whats going on (in fact I think the other teachers would frown on it). I would suspect that it was bad weather or something, but I am a scant ten feet away from the router at my desk, and there are no other teachers with connectivity issues.
Additional info: there is a password to my ADSL, it is programmed into the wireless software. this is a six month old computer, McAfee virus scans frequently as well as Microsoft anti-spyware sweeps three times a week. completely updated with all windows updates, i cant think of anything else that might be pertinent. sorry

Please help, it is making my job much more difficult now that I cannot connect to the internet and I have to be continually apologetic to my supervisors for not being able to do the work they want me to do until I return home at night (also I'm kind of not enjoying having to do all my work AFTER I get home from work)

Thank you very much for your time, I realize this was a long post (Im a little chatty, and I dont get to speak english so often) In the future, Ill try to keep post length down to a minimum.

sincerely,

nippon ni intaneto nai

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello emraldragon and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need some addition default questions answered before I can assist you in diagnosing or correcting your problem. Please answer in detail as best you can:

1) What Operating system do you have on the PC in question? (Please include any Updates or service Patches)

2) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Router you are using at Home?

3) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Wireless Card or Adapter installed on PC?

4) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Router you are using at work?

5) What software are you using to connect to your work and home router? (example: Netgear or Windows)

6) What IP Address scheme are you using? (DHCP or STATIC)

7) What troubleshooting steps have you already attempted?

Please answer these questions as thoroughly as possible to provide me the much needed information for helping you find your problem.

emraldragon

emraldragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
1) What Operating system do you have on the PC in question? (Please include any Updates or service Patches)
Windows XP Media Center with Service Pack 2 update and all other updates available through automatic updates.

2) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Router you are using at Home?
Netgear WGR614 v5

3) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Wireless Card or Adapter installed on PC?
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

4) What is the Manufacturer and Model Number of the Router you are using at work?
Buffalo (model number unknown, but I will try to find out today)

5) What software are you using to connect to your work and home router? (example: Netgear or Windows)
Netgear for home, I believe. I have it set to connect automatically to any wireless, so perhaps I have been trying, to no avail, to connect with netgear at school (that could be a problem im guessing). When I look in wireless network connection properties, it has the "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" box checked, I dont know if thats important

6) What IP Address scheme are you using? (DHCP or STATIC)
I dont know, how would I find out? Im using the computers default, whichever that is, I guess

7) What troubleshooting steps have you already attempted?
I have tried clicking the repair button, reseting the computer (usually a fix-all for me), removing port forwarding, using port forwarding, different wireless networks in the same school (there are two), ive even gone so far as to try taking down the firewall temporarily, but it didnt help (the firewall is back on now and full virus and adaware scans have been run). i tried running the windows troubleshooter, but it was a little bit unhelpful, it wasnt geared toward fixing the problem i was having. im afraid im not computer savvy enough to have thought of much more things to try. right now, the only thing im really capable of attempting is hoping that it will work when i bring it to school today. (when i do, ill see if i cant find out the model number on the router(s) there.

i hope this helps, if there is more information that i can provide (or you can let me know how to figure out if im using DHCP or STATIC ip addresses), let me know and i will do my best to find it
thank you for your help

nippon :tazz: ni intaneto nai

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
emraldragon,

You said you are able to connect fine at home and not at all -- or very limited at work. At Home you have A netgear router (that you recently installed) and at work a public network that other faculty members use (so we know its working fine).

With your ability to connect fine at home we can rule out the Network card installed on your computer and the router at home also. The only thing this leaves in the mix that could be causing your problem is a setting within windows itself or a change in security policy at your work. I am leaning more towards the first one as your problem though. I need some more information from you to get to the root of this problem. Please perform the following procedures as directed in this step-by-step walkthrough:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE all togther at the same time. This will launch the WINDOWS TASK MANAGER
2. Click on the Applications Tab. Post a screen shot as <reply 1> (directions for screenshots at bottom)
3. Click on the Processes Tab. Post a screen shot as <reply 2>
4. Click on the Networking Tab. Post a screen shot as <reply 3>
5. Close out the Windows Task Manager.
6. Click on START
7. Click on RUN
8. Type in " ncpa.cpl " without the "" and hit ENTER
9. When the Network Connections windows Opens. Post a screen shot as <reply 4>
10. Close out the Network connections window
11. Click on START
12. Click on RUN
13. Type in " cmd " without the "" and hit ENTER
14. When the black screen appears type in " ipconfig /all " without the "" and hit ENTER
15. Post a screen shot as <reply 5>
16. Clos out the command prompt window and Post all requested screenshots in a reply.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot Time

A. With the window we want to capture on the top of all other windows
B. Press the PRINT SCREEN SYSRQ key on your Keyboard
C. Open Microsoft Paint (located in Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint)
D. when the program launches, on the Left toolbar click on the Square made of dashes
E. Now position your cursor (which has become a cross) out in the white area of the canvas
F. Right Click and select PASTE
G. This will put an image of the System Configuration Utility on the canvas
H. Click the FILE button in the upper left section of the screen and select SAVE AS
I. In the Save As Box Put whatever you want in the Filename Box
J. In the Save As Type box: Click the drop down menu and select JPEG
K. In the Save In Box (Very Top): Select your desktop
L. Click the Save Button
M. Go back to your Web browser and post a reply. In the reply Page after the area where you enter your ......text there is a File Attachments area. ]
N. Click the Browse Button and navigate to the file we just saved on the desktop.
O. Select that file and click the Open Button
P. Click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT BUITTON
Q. Then scroll down a little further and click the ADD FILE INTO POST button.
R. This will put some text into the post similiar to this: [attachmentid:1234321
S. When you hit the ADD REPLY button your images will be thumbshots of thier originals

emraldragon

emraldragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Spacecowboy706,

Here are the requested screenshots, I hope that they help

first is reply 1

reply1.JPG

and now reply 2

reply2.JPG

next ones will be in subsequent post

sincerely,

emraldragon

emraldragon

emraldragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
and continuing onward we see. . .

reply 3 just below

reply3.JPG

and reply 4 beyond that

reply4.JPG

please stand by while i count 20 seconds and see the exciting conclusion to our
art show showcasing the talent of young people in a foreign country who cant work computers. . .
:tazz:

last screen shot coming up next

emraldragon

emraldragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
and now for the exciting conclusion to
this weeks episode of
"what happened to my wireless"
the hilariously funny sitcom
which bases its humor on
problems with communication

reply 5

well thats our show folks
stay tuned for scenes from our next episode
and remember to tune in next week
for our next hilarious computer problem

i really hope that this helps, and thank you for helping me, i really appreciate it
theres no one here who is capable of it here

sincerely,

emraldragon

Edited by emraldragon, 19 January 2006 - 11:08 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
good to go... now click the edit button for <reply 5> and remove the posted screenshot... contains sensitive information and we dont want the whole world seeing it. :tazz:

Follow these steps:

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in: ncpa.cpl
4. Under Lan or High-Speed Internet RIGHT CLICK on "Wireless Network Connection" and select "Properties"
5. Click on the "Wireless Networks" Tab
6. Verify that there is a check in the box for "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"
7. Copy down what all is listed in the "Available Networks" box <Reply 1>
8. Copy down what all is listed in the "Preferred Networks" box <Reply 2>
9. Click on the "Authentication" Tab and verify that the box for "Enable Network Access Control IEEE 802.1X" and also "Authenticate as computer when computer information is available" are both Checked.
10. Click the Cancel button for the "Wireless Network Connection Properties"
11. Click on START
12. Click on RUN
13. Type in: Services.msc
14. Scroll down to "DHCP Client" - What is the STATUS and STARTUP TYPE listed? <Reply3>
15. Scroll down to "Wireless Zero Configuration" - What is the STATUS and STARTUP TYPE listed? <Reply4>
16. Post replies as directed

emraldragon

emraldragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My apologies for being away so long. I had a glitch in my own wireless (a file corrupted itself and I ultimately had to roll back my computer to an earlier time in life)

as it turns out, however, my computer wasnt the only thing that corrupted itself.

last week, the schools router cut out, as it turns out, it had been dying and while everyone else still had connectivity, it wasnt good connectivity, though it was better than my own.

well the router was replaced with a new one, and a new network was set up. i have not had any problems since. i think that maybe this router was on the fritz for a while and for some reason my wireless card was far more sensitive to the problem than anybody elses.

i cant be certain of course. but if i have any additional problems, i will return this forum and beg for guidance. i appreciate the patience that you have showed me and i thank you very much.

sincerely,

emraldragon