Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing XP Pro onto a scsi system

• Please log in to reply

soboyle

soboyle

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Can anyone run me through the process of installing XP Pro on a scsi system, my home machine has a scsi boot disk, but when I go into the bios to set the cd-rom as the first boot device the scsi drive disappears from the boot list.
Do I need to change this in the scsi bios first?

Once I get XP to boot from the CD, I think I remember I have to manually load some drivers to get it to install correctly.
Any pointers will be welcome

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I wouldn't worry about it, I would just go ahead and boot off the Windows CD and see if Windows can see your scsi hdd. I think you are right, about manually loading the drivers though. I have never done it before, but I think as Windows Setup is loading, you push one of the F keys on your keyboard to load the drivers from a disk.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah..it's usually f6 and then you install the scisi drivers then it asks to continue with the setup.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The problem with SCSI is that it's typically oriented towards the other side of the computer spectrum; mainly Apple Macs, Sun Microstystems and servers. While it will work on the PC side, most people find it far easier to just take it out and shove a normal hard drive in.

Not all systems particularly enjoy or are able to boot off a drive connected by a peripherial card, in fact if the SCSI card keeps disappearing from the Boot From list on the BIOS of the original poster, it may not like it.

Of course, having said that, it could just be disappearing because the card hasn't had time to initiailise the SCSI drive and the system disappears into setup before the card can makes the SCSI drives viewable. Some boards can do this.

If you have a key on the system that says Boot Menu (usually F8 or F11 or F12 or ESC) then press that and select the appropriate boot device as opposed to keep going into the BIOS.