Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help

• Please log in to reply

bonnieli

bonnieli

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:) The windows machine I'm working on shuts off right after it finishes loading. Is there something I can do to fix it without having to rebuild it? :tazz: Appreciate any help you can give me.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bonnieli...

A little more information on both your system and the problem would be helpful... :tazz:

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during bootup and choosing Safe Mode from the list of options on the Safe Mode options screen. You might also try the option for "Last known good configuration"...does it run ok that way?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 January 2006 - 08:59 AM.

bonnieli

bonnieli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The computer is a built for user kind. I have booted into safe mode successfully and checked it out. Removed some spyware that was there. The computer loads all the way to the desktop and icons and seems to be loading one last thing (don't know what it can be) and shuts down. There is nothing unusual in the startup, just won't boot long enough for anything. There is 512 MB RAM

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bonnieli...

Can you download HiJackThis and post a log for me so I can have a look at the running processes?

wannabe1

bonnieli

bonnieli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I appreciate your help. Here is he log. Let me know what you think. I ran hijack in safe mode as there is no other way. :tazz: Attached File  karen.txt   4.2KB   206 downloads

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bonnieli...

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, click the "Error Reporting" button...click the button next to "Disable error reporting", then click "Ok". In the "System Properties" window, click "Apply", then "Ok". Close Control Panel. Reboot.

Does your machine now boot into Normal Mode?

wannabe1

bonnieli

bonnieli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi Wannabe1, I appreciate all your help in trying to with this problem. The computer still won't boot up and stay up. I think I am going to have to reinstall the OS and hope that fixes anything it may have. Again, I appreciate your help with this. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bonnieli...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1