Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsfot outlook question

• Please log in to reply

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I have microsoft outlook at work, I m having a problem where if someone sends me a forwarded e-mail as an attatchment I can't open it, I get the usual blah bla blah,, " The form required to view this message can not be displayed"
If I right click on it and save it to my desk top I can click on it and it will open,

I m sure its just a setting that I can't find,

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Don :tazz:

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Not sure....but....

Specify the program that starts when you open a file
Many file types in Windows are registered to be opened by a particular program. For example, Notepad starts when you open a text (.txt) file. You can change the program that starts when you open a particular type of file.

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the View menu, and then click Options.

Click the File Types tab.

In the Registered file types box, click the file type you want to open with a different program.

Click Edit.

In the Actions box, click Open.

Click Edit.

In the Application used to perform action box, type the path to the program you want to use to open files of the selected file type. Or click Browse to select the path from a folder list.
Note Not all registered file types have an Open action.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
More lame advice: :tazz:

Open an attachment without opening the item
Right-click the item that contains the attachment.

On the shortcut menu, point to View Attachments and then click the name of the attachment that you want to view.

Sorry. I just started using Outlook myself after I was threatened by IT.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
don,
you may need to run a detect and repair on your outlook help menu.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Thanks CW6 and SJ

I spotted the detect and repair and was about to run it when all of a sudden the monitor flashed !!!

Then the lights went out, Oh well not much you can do in the office sitting in the dark :tazz:
What can a guy do but go home early :)
So I will give it a shot tomorrow,

Thanks again

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Managed to solve this here is how in the event someone has the same problem,

when opening outlook hold down the CRTL key this brings you into a safe mode of outlook, simply close it after it opens completely, open again as you do normal and it should have reset it

dansyl

dansyl

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was having the same problem opening power point attachments. Found help at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm ... Might want to check it out