Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with problem installing XP

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
So I was trying to install XP Pro with SP2 onto my machine. I booted from the CD and formated the hard drive. It copied all the installation files over and rebooted to go into the setup screen, which it did. It got to the point where there is 39 minutes left, and then I got a Blue Screen (BSOD) that said 0x00000019 (Bad_Pool_Header).

That was all fine and good. I figured I'd just reboot and try to let the install continue. If that didn't work, I would just format again and reinstall from the CD again.

So anyway, the Blue Screen stayed up there until I pressed the reset button. At which time, my computer itself rebooted, but the monitor went off. So I shut down the computer, double checked the connections and even that the graphics card was secure, but nothing would show up on the monitor (except for the "no signal detected" message). So I plugged my monitor into another computer and it booted up and displayed fine.

I can't help but think the problem with the monitor has to be related to the Blue Screen since it happened right after the Blue Screen. But logically if the Blue Screen caused the monitor problem, shouldn't it have happened right away rather than after the next reboot...in other words, I shouldn't even have been able to read the Blue Screen.

Anyway, I would appreicate any help...I am at a loss because without being anle to see anything, I can't reinstall my OS or even look around BIOS and try some other things.

please help,
thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://msdn.microsof...2kmsgs/1140.asp there's a reference on the ox19 (it's for 2000 but the stop code is the same in xp)...referencing bad hardware...

as far as getting the thing to display again...do you have onboard video on your motherboard? or just the expansion video card?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
my video card is a seperate entity, in the AGP slot. This computer previously had XP with SP2 on it, so I know it's compatible.

This current problem is just another in a whole slew of problems I've had recently. Let me explain what has happened, and maybe you can offer some assistance.

One day I was working on my computer and the whole thing just shut off. It turned out the problem was that the power supply went bad, so I had to have it replaced. So it was replaced, everything booted up fine and the computer was good for a couple of days. Then the hard drive went...it started making clicking noises and wouldn't boot up. I put the hard drive into another computer as a slave and it still made the clicking noises and the computer wouldn't find it. Luckily, the hard drive was still under warranty, so I sent away for another one.

I just received it today, installed the hard drive, BIOS found it no problem, and then I went to install XP and you know the rest.

What I'm thinking...is it possible that the initial power supply problem I had corrupted the motherboard and/or other hardware, and rather than them all going out at once, they're slowly going bad? I could understand if everything went bad at once, but it seems odd to me that the power supply went, then everything was ok for a couple days, then the hard drive went, then everything was ok while I'm trying to install XP, but now it seems the video card might have went.

anyway, I'd appreciate your input, so I know whether I should just scrap the system and get a new one.

thanks,
mike.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...didn't really answer my question..but all of that is helpful...does your motherboard have onboard video as well as the agp? if it does then maybe your bios went back to defaults in which case it would be trying to use that video card instead? if you do not have onboard video..let's do the long troubleshooting...

unplug everything from the motherboard...leave the processor in the board...and the psu hooked up to it...but take everything else off (ram, hd, cdroms, floppies, video card, any other cards) then try to start up...do you get a beep?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
sorry...no on-board video card.

I did what you suggested--unplugged everything--and yes, it did beep. I then plugged everything back in, and now my monitor is getting a signal and XP setup restarted from where it left off.

I am not entirely convinced every thing is ok with the computer yet...I guess I won't be until Windows is fully installed and everything.

Thank you for your help. And I pray I don't get another Blue Screen.

mike.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll keep my eyes on this topic...so if you have any more problems...just post in here....