Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2GB DDR333MHz vs. 1GB DDR400MHz

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got two options, either 2GB at DDR333MHz (4x512 with timings 2.5-3-3-7) or 1GB at DDR400MHz (2x512 with timings 2.5-2-2-7). Which of these 2 will give me better performance ? What is the primary use of the computer ? Well, I play quite a few games (F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, Sims 2, Swat 4, Area 51, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 & so on..), I run many applications that require a lot of memory. I use the computer 24/7 it's barely ever switched off and I run a lot of applications simultaneously.

The rest of my config is:

Intel D875PBZ Motherboard
3.00 GHz with HT
128MB GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
80GB SATA 7200RPM HDD
480W PSU
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System
17" LCD Monitor
Dvd-Rom
Cd-Writer

Edited by manu08, 18 January 2006 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would probably say the ddr400 its got better timings and its obviously faster, also if you upgrade its easier as you dont have to get rid of it.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I agree also the pc3200 is the way to go, you do not want pc 2700.

You can always upgrade to another stick or two of good quality pc3200 memory.

Plus if you got the 333mhz memory, it would take up all of your memory slots with slow memory... thats bad.. lol

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
i would go for 1gb ddr 400 ram as its faster and the proformance difference between 1 and 2gb isn't worth forking the money out for.

hes the proformance article:

http://www.tomshardw...ou_really_need/

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Pretty neat article rumble. Yeah I guess I'm going to stick with the 1GB only. Thanks for the help guys.
Oh and well not really a point of this but for interest sake the timings of the DDR 400MHz can be reduced down to 2-2-2-5.