Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP 4.5GB?

• Please log in to reply

dp2

dp2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

I have installed a new version of windows XP today because the one that was previously installed on my computer by the person wold sold it to me, was a none genuine one and it caused a lot of problems with my system..

My system seems to be fine since I did the new installation, but now, when I look at the size of windows on my machine, its over 4.5GB...
Is it normal that XP takes that much size on my hard drive? If not, is there anything I can do?

Thanks a lot for your help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you go about replacing the "non genuine" version?

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did the steps presented on the microsoft site:

1. Start your computer.
2. Insert the Windows XP CD in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
3. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP page, click Install Windows XP.
4. On the Welcome to Windows Setup page, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type box (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
5. On the License Agreement page, click I accept this agreement, and then click Next.
6. On the Your Product Key page, type the 25-character product key in the Product key boxes, and then click Next.
7. On the Get Updated Setup Files page, select the option that you want, and then click Next.
8. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP.

Is this a good way to to this?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah..that's a standard in place reinstall... the system requirements (min) for xp is 1.5 gig for hd space...how are you checking the "size of windows"

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I go on C:\
and I do a right click on the windows folder for its properties...

is there a way to make it smaller without reinstalling everything? Something like a cleanup??

Thanks a lot for your help...I appreciate

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..my windows folder is 3.5 gigs....that folder does get things added to it by certain software installations..plus the size is also dependant on what options you installed with windows....is the size of the folder causing you issues? or are you just annoyed at the size?

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would say both...

I don't know if this is related but it looks like my system is a little slower after this new installation...and I have read somewhere taht windows needs a certain percentage of the hard drive space (?) to work properly?

My hard drive have 4Gb of free space now on a total of 20Gb

+ if windows was smaller, I would not have to remove files or programs that I want to keep on my computer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it does need a certain percentage of the HD to work properly...but it takes that percentage automatically...have you checked your system for malware?

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes! I got through the malware removal page 2 times + I have runned a few more antivirus before deciding to reinstall windows XP

It did find spywares but no viruses

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it found spyware after the reinstall or before?

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
before the reinstall..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you run spyware scans since the reinstall?

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no...I assumed it was clean since I did not go on the net and the antispywares did not found anything on my last scan (before re-installing)