Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Help

• Please log in to reply

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
My computer has had a rough day ;)

My HP with preinstalled XP (meaning I don't have the disk) decided to not work this morning, restarting itself right before it should have entered the Windows screen, making an endless restart loop.

Consulting with some knowledgable friends, I decided that since I really didn't have anything I needed on my harddrive, I would format the C partition and reinstall Windows with my dad's Windows XP disc.

The format went well, then while installing Windows I got all these errors about File Missing. I realized that my dad's XP disc was in fact a ME/98 Upgrade Disc. Oops :tazz:

I shut down the computer and tried using system restore to no avail.

Whenever I start up with my Windows disk it wants to continue the installation (which will bring up a bunch of error messages). I tried to exit out of the installation with ESC and F8 but neither worked.

I am afraid I will have to buy a new harddrive (don't want to spend money) :thumbsup:

Any ideas?

- Matt

Advertisements

TheCloakGuy

TheCloakGuy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How much GBs you want to buy a hard driver?

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Can't you just boot your pc from a win98 bootable disk? There you can format your pc again using format c:

That might get you out of the installation loop. Then you can install win98 on the system. Afterwards, you can use your dad's upgrade CD to get yourself a nice winXP environment.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi mpfeif101

Boot Disk - Windows XP (Home & Pro) boot disk 200K (7-July-2002)
If you are unable to boot up your Windows XP PC (XP Home or XP Professional), it may be because the boot sector has become corrupted (yet the operating system and data may still be OK). If that is the problem, then this boot disk will enable your PC to ignore the hard disk boot sector, and instead use the boot sector on this boot floppy in order to still boot successfully into Windows XP.

XPHome & Pro Boot Disk Click Here

kc :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you sure you can use someone elses XP Disc anyway