Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word opens slowly

• Please log in to reply

atoptions

atoptions

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I am working with a student who is having difficulty with his computer. He has done the typical things to enhance performance (i.e. scan disk and disk defrag.) but he continue to experience a slow load time when trying to open up Microsoft Word. He typically has a couple of programs minimized but the load time is still slow even if all programs are closed. He does have Norton Anti-Virus on his computer. Can this be causing a problem? I would like to identify where the issue is. He has also had problems with the Microsoft .doc normal template. I was thinking of an uninstall and reinstall of Word but would like to avoid that if possible. I also advised the student to transfer many of his large documents on to a thumb drive so they do not remain on the hard drive but performance remains unchanged. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi atoptions...

Microsoft Word does request a virus scan when it loads. If there are large documents to scan, it will take a bit. This does not mean that this issue is being caused by the Norton application, however, so let's try to pinpoint the problem.

Disable Norton by right clicking on the Norton icon in the system tray (by the clock). Open Microsoft Word. Is there an appreciable improvement?

wannabe1

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi atoptions...

Microsoft Word does request a virus scan when it loads. If there are large documents to scan, it will take a bit. This does not mean that this issue is being caused by the Norton application, however, so let's try to pinpoint the problem.

Disable Norton by right clicking on the Norton icon in the system tray (by the clock). Open Microsoft Word. Is there an appreciable improvement?

wannabe1

Disabling Norton worked for me. Can you tell me what documents are scanned when Word loads? I tried moving "My Documents", or most of them, to another (extrnal) drive, which I then disconnected, and it didn't seem to help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Honda_cb750...sorry for the delay in getting back to you....

Depending on which version of Norton you have, you can disable "Office Plugins". This setting should be found by opening the Norton Anti Virus, click "Options" and start looking for Office Plugins... :tazz: (In NIS2005, it's accessed under Options then clicking the "Miscellaneous" link)

This will disable the scan request and your documents will open normally.

wannabe1