Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAID

• Please log in to reply

ANDYSUDS

ANDYSUDS

• Pip
  • 7 posts
have managed to get my hands on another 2 maxtor 250gb sata drives,the same as i have running in my machine as it stands.what i am asking is,as raid is all new to me
1,would it be worth installing these drives
2,would i see any increase in performance
3,if the answer to these 2 questions is yes then how do i set it up being a virtual novice..i keep alot of pictures and videos,would it be better to use them as just storage drives...cheers ANDY

ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE SKT 939
ATHLON 64 3800+ VENICE
250gb MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10 SATA 16mb
1 GB CORSAIR TWIN MATCHED MEMORY
2X WINFAST 6600GT SLI GRAPHICS
NEC 3540A 16xDUAL LAYER DVD RW
PHILLIPS 8421 DVD RW
THERMALTAKE TWV 500W PURE POWER PSU
MICROSOFT WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE
WINDOWS XP PRO

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you see an advantage to having two drives as you can write from one and read from the other so careful disk management lets you get better drive performance, however while a RAID array essentially automates the process to maximise performance the little extra you gain is often not worth the risk in a RAID array, the RAID 0 striped array increases performance but if the array colapses or a single drive fail the data over both is totally corrupted and unrecoverable, the only way to get data security with a striped array is to do it with 4 disks minimum in a striped and mirrored array.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
But by the time you get a mirrored array up and working with four disks, it's usually far quicker and far cheaper just to do a striped array and utilitise an old computer for backup of the most important stuff on a regular basis.

But RAID in a home sytstem is nothing to get excited about as you won't notice much if any performance increase. Therefore over what you've got at the moment, you'd do better off hooking one of the new drives up every once in a while and just copying the essentials to it as a sort of backup.