Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rename a file

• Please log in to reply

drsnet41

drsnet41

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm having a problem renaming files in Windows Explorer.

From my office PC I highlight a file, lets say an Excel .xls file. I right click the file and select rename. If I rename the file but neglect to include the .xls extension I get the following message in a Rename window:

"If you change a file name extension, the file may become unstable. Are you sure..."

At this point I have to click no and do the rename procedure again, this time including the .xls extension.

On my home PC this isn't the case. I can rename an Excel (or any other file type for that matter) and it keeps the original extension.

Both systems run XP. Why do they behave differently?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go to View -> Folder Options.

In there, click View and put a tick in "Hide extensions for known file types". Click OK.

Now select the file, press F2 and should be able to rename it.

drsnet41

drsnet41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Neil,

That took care of it.

Thank you.