Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC WILL BOOT BUT NO DISPLAY

• Please log in to reply

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Video Card Out. No Beeps.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, remove all the ram as well & try again.

I assume that there is still power to the board (i.e fans spinning etc) even though there are no beeps?

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes. Its been removed.

Edited by Product, 19 January 2006 - 07:37 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, so no ram, no vid...any beeps?

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No beeps after both vid card and ram removed.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, that doesn't sound good.
Again, I don't mean to sound patronizing but it's very easy to make mistakes like this, just double check that :
1) You have removed the jumper cap from the CLR_CMOS pins. BTW, I am assuming that you have a 2 pin CLR_CMOS header because thats what your manual says, but tell me if I'm wrong & it actually has 3 pins.

2) You have the square 4 pin power connector plugged in to the 'ATX 12V' header on the motherboard

If the above two things were OK, then I suggest you leave the system alone for 10 minutes before trying it again. Sometimes the system has a power down period which means it won't boot up until a certain amount of time has elapsed since the last shut down. This doesn't normally apply when you shutdown normally from Windows but can happen when powering on & off again in the way you have been doing.

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Right, that doesn't sound good.
Again, I don't mean to sound patronizing but it's very easy to make mistakes like this, just double check that :
1) You have removed the jumper cap from the CLR_CMOS pins. BTW, I am assuming that you have a 2 pin CLR_CMOS header because thats what your manual says, but tell me if I'm wrong & it actually has 3 pins.

2) You have the square 4 pin power connector plugged in to the 'ATX 12V' header on the motherboard

If the above two things were OK, then I suggest you leave the system alone for 10 minutes before trying it again. Sometimes the system has a power down period which means it won't boot up until a certain amount of time has elapsed since the last shut down. This doesn't normally apply when you shutdown normally from Windows but can happen when powering on & off again in the way you have been doing.

The CLR_MOS pins do not have a jumper cap over it. It is 2 pins which stick out. When you told me to reset the bios I removed the internal battery from the motherboard for 30 seconds since this is what it says in the manual. I hope Im doing everything right. :tazz:

The 4 Pin power connector is plugged into the motherboard.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah thats fine. The CLR_CMOS header should normally be two bare pins with no jumper cap. You place a jumper over these pins to clear the bios (I didn't realise you were using the battery removal method), but the jumper cap must be removed again before the system will boot, which is why I asked you to check.

Ok, plan B then, just wait a while before powering it on again & see if this makes any difference.

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
:tazz: I tried plan B. No go. :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, well it's starting to really sound like it may be the cpu in that case.
A bad PSU is still a possibility though, so if you have access to another power supply that you know works & is compatible with your system, then I suggest you try it.

I'm going to have a quick word with Warriorscot to see if he has any ideas as it's always good to get a second opinion!

Advertisements

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Great! I will try that out. Hopefully I have a power supply that will work.

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Awww. I guess I do not have one. But when I first started to troubleshoot the PC a few weeks back I purchased a new one and found this was not the problem. But during this time I would only see the PC come on for no more than a second and it would turn off. This is even after I purchase the new power supply. I later returned it assuming it was the motherboard. So I sent my motherboard to newegg.com. I recieved the replacement and the PC began to turn on again. Which takes us to where we are now.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hi,

I agree with Samms thoughts on this one, sounds like it might be a dodgy CPU, you say you bought a new PSU what was it, and are you using it now.

Can you just give me a little more detail on exactly how this problem started just so in clear. And did it work properly before or has it never worked since you got it.

What did you use for thermal material as well when you reapplied it. And are you using the stock HSF.

Product

Product

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I thank the both of you first of all. Samm is very deligent. :tazz: Great Mod!

To answer you question this all happend when I was using a Web Cam. The port on the web cam was a bit broken and the wire would not sit tight within the port...dumb mistake to use it. I moved it one day and my PC just shut off. :)

I attempted to troubleshoot and at first it would only come on for a second and shut back off. I assumed it maybe the power supply. I went out and purchased a new one but later returned it when I found the new power supply was doing the same.

I assumed my mother board was fried. I sent it back to newegg.com since the motherboard is fairly new. The sent me a new one this past week and this is when I installed everything again. The thermal paste I used was some Radio Shack brand. It reads Silicone Base-Heatsink Compound. The machine was actually staying on at this point but I would get no picture from the monitor. I did notice any beeps until I installed the speaker to it after not having it on 2 days ago while troubleshooting with Samm. When I first got home yesterday I installed it and I was getting long constant beeps. When I removed everything and put it back in it would no longer beep but still no picture.

Yes I am using the Heatsink which came with the CPU.

Today when I was looking into it again I noticed a pin was missing. What a bummer. I have to buy a new one now. I think to much messing with the CPU caused me to break a pin. :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That would be it then, you have to be increibly careful when you do anything with the CPU they are very fragile, if its still under warranty you might be able to get a replacement.