Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A LARGE ammount of my hard drive has dissapeared!

• Please log in to reply

Libby22

Libby22

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm not sure if this is where I am supposed to be posting this, so if it isn't will someone please direct to where I need to post this.... ??

Well, I'll try and explain my problem..

I checked my local disc C: today to see how much free space I have left (which I do often) and I was shocked to see that a HUGE chunk of the free space has dissapeared!!

Only a few days ago I had at least 7.30GB out of 13.9GB and today all that was left now is 884MB and it keeps going down pretty quickly!!!!!!!! :tazz:

Also, I have not downloaded anything, so it's not like I dowdloaded a ton of this and that is why this happened, it just happed out of nowhere.

I'm really freaked out about this, and I am not good with computers, so I was wondering what could it be?? This is a big deal isn't it??!?

If anybody knows, or can help, I would appriciate it soooo much!! :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then my computer, click local dive C then ignore the warning and click open, this will show folders, right click one then click properties, wait till it stops adding to the size, then make a note of the size and also size on disc. Do this with all the folder to see if it totals 13.1 GB, post the sizes in and someone will spot the one with too much in

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I went through and checked the properties of each file and most of the folders contained a normal ammount in them, but the file named "Documents and Settings" size was 7.15GB and the size on disc was 7.17GB. Is that normal??

I clicked on it, and then eventually found the root of what was taking up all of the space pretty much and it was something called "Dr Watson" What is that??

Also, I added everything up in there and it did seem to match up to 13.1GB

Thanks for your help!! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Dr Watson is responsible for the box which jumps up and says, you closed a programme, do you want to report this

If you right click the folder, how big is it

How to Configure and Use Error Reporting
You can enable, disable, or modify the way that error reporting works on a Windows XP-based computer. When an error occurs, a dialog box is displayed that prompts you to report the problem to Microsoft. If you want to report the problem, technical information about the problem is sent to Microsoft over the Internet. You must be connected to the Internet to use the feature. If a similar problem has been reported by other users and information about the problem is available, you receive a link to a Web page that contains information about the problem.

To access the settings for the reporting feature:

1. Click Start.

2. Right-click My Computer, then click Properties.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Click Error Reporting.

To configure the error reporting feature:

By default, error reporting is enabled. To disable it, click Disable error reporting. To continue to be notified when errors occur without being prompted to report the errors, click to select the But notify me when critical errors occur check box.

Specify whether you want to use error reporting for the Windows operating system, for programs, or for both Windows and programs.

To report errors only for selected programs, click Choose Programs, click All programs in this list, and then click the programs that you do not want to include.

To add a program that is not listed, click Add, type the name of the program, or click Browse to find the program on your computer.

If many programs are listed, you may want to create an exclude list. In the Do not report errors for these programs box, click Add, type the name of each program that you want to exclude from error reporting, or click Browse to find the program on your computer.

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When I right click Dr Watson it's 6.62GB

That's awfully big isn't it??!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Disable error reporting

Because of the size of the folder it will probably want to bypass the recycle bin, so before sending it there,
open the folder to see what is in it

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, I disabled error reporting.

It won't let me open Dr watson. It says it's corrupted and that there is serious disc error on file drwtsn32.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, click clean up restore points

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

See if you can open the folder but it is looking like you may need to delete it, though as before, because of its size it will want to go straight from the drive

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oh no, I do not have the XP CD!! I won't be able to do this now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it without the CD, if it asks for the CD press skip to see if it tells you which file it is skipping, if it wants to replace lots, cancel it otherwise you will be there all day

You can borrow a same version XP CD as you used to install (if you downloaded SP2 then you need to borrow an XP SP1 CD)

Advertisements

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm not sure which version was downloaded on my laptop because it was already installed on it when I bought it....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will say which CD it wants

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It still won't open.

Do I even need Dr watson?? Is it a good idea to delete it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get an error message with sfc /scannow

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I couldn't figure out how to do that part. I only got to the clean up restore points, and ran that. But nothing came up for me to type in. I probably did something wrong lol.