Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Windows xp

• Please log in to reply

shell38

shell38

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi there

Could someone please help me. I am running windows xp proffesional. with media centre. I am having to proplems here. first one is described above.

Windows seem to be working ok and i run Norton internet security 2005 and have it updated and regulary run virus checks and all seems clean. I also run Ad-Aware. SE personal spy ware and that seems pretty good just the odd cookies. Everything apart from Outlook express (thats the second problem which will go into in a min) seems to work fine. Its when i try to shut down or restart windows. It takes ages to shut down and sometimes a prog i cant remember quite what but a box with downloading CAAnp or something like that quickly comes up but this is not always the case. It seems to start up fine its just the shutting down. I have tried to do system restore and taken it back to christmas period when i think it was fine. The only thing i have downloaded lately is Real Arcade, and was wondering if this is the problem.

The second problem i no what is causing it bu i cant seem to fix it. Outlook express will not connect and im sure its because of my Norton because when i turn it off outlook works fine. i have tried to contact them but no help there and tried to follow there guides but nothing seems to work.

Any help with the above would be most grateful........ once again thanx for taking the time to read this.

Shell

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi shell38!

Your computer takes ages to shutdown because norton runs a virus scan on important system files when the computer shuts down. I don't use NIS myself, because I don't like it, but look in the options and find the option for performing a scan during startup/shutdown and disable/uncheck this option.

As for your outlook express problem, you are right that NIS is causing this. You need to look in the firewall settings of NIS and allow outlook express to access the internet.

Fenor

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi there Fenor beliieve we have spoke b4 on another matter smiles.......well i will go and have alook at this silly Norton. The problem has only just started in the last few weeks and i have been running the same virus checker for months before that with no problems at all to the shutdown prob and the outlook express, so just wondered why this was. I used to use Agv with my other computers but this came with my new one and it seemed to work fine for months so was pleased with it and paid for it to be extended but if its gonna cause these probs i might have to think again........

ps i have just come back from looking for the things you told me about and i cant seem to see where they are...... have u any ideas thanx
Shell

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi just found scan at start up but not at shut down and it is fine at start up so if i uncheck that i dont see it will make much difference........ plus will this not leave me open to probs with virus.
thanx shell

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
To be quite honest having NIS installed period causes a computer to run like junk. What I suggest you do, which would speed up your computer alot is to uninstall NIS (basically everything related to Symantec (including LiveReg & LiveUpdate) in Add/Remove Programs). I would then suggest that you download AVG Antivirus Free Edition and Microsoft Antispyware. Both are great programs and both are free to use with frequent updates to the spyware and virus definitions. NIS is such a resource hog that it slows down computers alot.

If you are worried about not having a firewall, then I suggest you download either Sygate or Zone Alarm, both are free and are very good. You will be surprised on how much better your computer runs without NIS installed.

Fenor

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi there

Thanx for the advice i think i am going to do as you say... i must admit i had agv before on my other computer and found that to be fine.

The question i have on the firewall..... my friend used zone alarm but it kept going funny and saying she had to pay for it after 30days and it kept coming up with blocks it was such a pain that she asked me to take it off....... before i had old computers and myself did not have a firewall but this is a new pretty high spec pc and just wondered if you could give me some advice on firewalls and how to set them prop. Also does zone alarm ask for payment after a certain period.

Many thanx
Shell

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
oh oh why is nothing simple in pc world lol..... well have gone onto add remove programs and guess wat norton security is not on there.... the only two that are, are the following:

Live Reg symantec corportation
live update symantec corportation.
Both can not be removed with out removing norton first....... went on the help for this and it just says like any normal time go add remove programs scroll down to norton sercurity and click add remove which of course everyone knows but what now that its not on here do u think this is what has happened it has become corrupt...... and if so how the dam do i get this off my computer unless delete from the reg edit.

Thanx
Shell

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That's what I bet happened. Take a look at this SITE for how to remove NIS 2005 from your system.

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
One other possible cause of a slow shutdown, when Windows shuts down, it saves the registry...if it cannot save the registry because a program has it open, it will wait, wait, wait, wait until it times out.

You can see this behavior in the event viewer

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems for a line that says userenv with an error

if so, download the following and install

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi
yes it does say system error records
also under application it says application error
media centre custom log error records

when i try to shut down it comes up with a box trying to download i think it says CcAAP something like that so do u think it is because of the regedit is trying to run.... im gonna download what you have asked on the second message and take alook at the other one and see what i can do

Thanx
Shell

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Me again

I have installed clean up what do i do once it is installed. As for the norton its asking me to find the product or activation code........ but all i can find is the account no and part no... not what they ask but i will try it.........

Thanx shell

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please follow the site I posted above to completely remove NIS from your system. After the tool runs you will be told that you need to reboot your computer, do so. After your computer has rebooted post back how things are going.

Fenor

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi yes i have got rid of norton now and i have installed agv
Now outlook is working fine :tazz:

The other program clean up i downloaded that, but when i clicked on it, it ws a black screen just like u do in the runedit. So do i have to do anything with it or is that just enough to download it.

Thanx for all your help
Shell

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I never used that program before, so gerryf is better equipped to answer that question.

Fenor

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok

Well i dont no but it seems to be doing something that program. it is turning off quicker and the CcAAp thing is not coming up as i shut down, its still alittle slower than it used to be.

While im waiting for the other person to explain about that program i wondered if u cld give me some advice for another computer of mine.

I am running Windows 2000. Everything seems to be workiing fine i can get on the internet etc i send emails. But sometimes more often than it seems to turn itself into safte mode....Im not saying it is going into safe mode just that is what it looks like as all the screen picture and headings look like you are in safe mode. For example when u got on web cam the person looks like all colours of the rainbow..... I have tried pushing F8 and it comes up with a long list of different start up modes for normal but not just one with normal and wondered if it has started up in the wrong mode.... if there is not just a normal mode which one should i click on. Or could it be somthing to do with the video/picture card. Is there away of telling if i am in safe or normal mode.

Many thanx
Shell