Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Small Question

• Please log in to reply

Chi-Master Wang

Chi-Master Wang

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have never done this b4 so id like to ask a question.
If i partion my C: drive and put all files i want in the new drive and then reformat will i keep the files in the new drive lets say drive D:
ALso if so can any one link me up to some good partitioning software. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not sure I understand you, but if you are asking if you create two partitions c: and d: and put data on d:, then yes, you can format c: without affecting d:

The partition software that comes with Windows is adequate for this...create a single partition during setup for windows, leaving unallocated space on the disk. After Windows is installed you can use disk manager to partition and format the remaining space.

Or, you can get Partition Magic to adjust partitions after the fat, or download Parted, a linux Partition Magic Clone.

It is included on the System Rescue CD, a bootable Linux rescue utility cd

http://www.sysresccd.org/

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
If you have two individual partitions you can bravely format one of them and not be afraid of other partition to be broken. As to partition software I use Disk Director Suite, that I like. Partition Magic is not good too but Disk Director is more convenient and quick tool imo.