Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ACCESS DENIED

• Please log in to reply

Anthony_

Anthony_

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heres my issues, Note I've used and abused every bit of my knowledge trying to complete this task.

I have a harddrive from one of my older computers that I desperatly need to get some company info off of.. Heres my issue..

I hooked up the harddrive then booted my pc.

Once in windows (using my current not old harddrive to boot with) I can access 90pc of the old harddrive (the one Im trying to get into) EXCEPT The user name I need to get into. It gives me access denied no matter how I go about it.

So I figured hey thats cool I'll just boot my pc using the old harddrive. WRONG it says operating system not found. Which I know to be incorrect because I WAS JUST ON IT using SOFTWARE from it.

I've tried using the control panel but it gives access denied.

I don't know how else to go about it.. I can't even view the files using the search feature..

IF someone could tell me a way to get into that drive I would be MUCH appreciative... I wouldn't of bothered you guys but.. after 2 months of trying over and over I give up. I need help.

Thanks,
Anthony

Advertisements

Anthony_

Anthony_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for double post.. And if this is in the wrong place..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

SYMPTOMS

When you install Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and then you try to open folders on a different logical drive on your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Access is denied.

CAUSE

This issue occurs because the folders that you are trying to open are located on a different NTFS drive, and were created by a previously installed operating system, such as Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows NT4. Each NTFS folder is assigned the Security Identifier (SID) numbers of those users who have the correct credentials to use the folder. The folders that were created and shared by the previously installed operating system do not recognize the SID numbers of new users.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start Windows in Safe mode. To do so, follow these steps:a. Restart the computer, and then press F8 while the computer starts.

b. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.

c. Use the ARROW keys to select what operating system to start, and then press ENTER to start Windows XP in Safe mode.

2. Log on as a user with administrative credentials.

3. Locate a folder that you want to open, right-click it, and then click Properties.

4. In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab, and then click Add.

5. Under Enter the object names to select, type your user name, and then click OK.

This step adds your SID number to the permission settings for this folder.

6. Under Permissions for the user name that you added in step 5, click to select the Allow Full Control check box.

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each folder that you want to open.

8. When you have added your user name to all the folders that you want to open, restart your computer as usual.

Anthony_

Anthony_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ahh Thank you so much man. You just saved my [bleep] and my job bro :tazz: thanks again :)

You guys always have the answer .. I knew there had to be away around Permissions

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know