Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Wayfr

Wayfr

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I need some advise.Has anyone ever put Windows xp to its own partition,keeping it separate from all the other files ,folders and downloads? Is it feasible or advantageous?If it was isolated on its own, wouldn't it be that much easier to clean up when it gets corrupted? I'd appreciate anyones comment on the matter.Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It is feasible and advantageous. Some people install the OS on one partition, program files on a nother, data files on a third, and swap files on a forth.

Arguably, this is overkill, but it is an idea that is not without merit...not everything will be as compartmentalized as it appears, though, since Programs install files into the OS, particularly the system folders

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yep, it is very reasonable. If your system crashes you won't lose all your information that might be in the opposite way. For example I always make 3 partitions on my drive - one of them is system and 2 others are for me files.

Summary: It's a matter of taste but it is very sensibly to separate operating system and data on different partitions

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks to gerryf and sharlpero for your ideas. I didn't know that anybody else considered and actually
partitioned their HD that way.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
The only problem is registry values i would think though. They wouldn't work if say u had to install the os again if it failed. That means that some files may not work that u installed.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Mr.Chow thanks for your thoughts. I guess what it boils down to is what do you prefer to clean up and how much are you willing to sacrifice. No matter which way you partition there is going to be a clean up of some sort. Thanks