Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SystemMechanic 6

• Please log in to reply

Beebonh

Beebonh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been using Zone Labs firewall since I went DSL and it seems to work great. A couple weeks ago, I got an e-mail from them (Yes, it really was them) promoting a system cleanup/maintenance tool called SystemMechanic 6.

I bit, and downloaded the thing, but it seems to
a) take forever to process a scan (it took nearly a week for one, and others I've shut down after a day or two) and
b) disrupt other programs, including ZoneAlarm itself. Since I started trying out SystemMechanic, I have to go back and re-allow all my programs to connect to the Internet every time I boot up. It's like the program wiped out whatever memory ZoneAlarm has for that sort of thing.

Anybody tried SytemMechanic and did it work for you?

:tazz: Beebonh

Advertisements

deodar

deodar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
HI Beebonh,a timely question for me,as I've been trialling Iolo Tech's Sys Mech6 after using 5 for a long
time and liking it.This is a power tool so should be used with discretion as it overkills some things,Dupe
Files for 1 thing.Fortunately they end up in the recycle Bin & it has Undo Function.Important to BackUp
before using ,or create a Restore Point.You have an nfortunate experience with it,a week for a scan is
unusual,it schedules tasks & performs them on boot.Internet optimiser works,but you used security
overview? that causes problems:it disables ActiveX & Java Script,blocks applications on the trusted list in
ZA & changes security settings generallly.You have to reset them in ZA,to allow access to internet,and
even accessto the network,which is the ISP connection.So I won't be extending the trial-have also tried
Ashampoo Win Optimiser and found it more user friendly,one click optimising does it all fast and asks for
approval to change settings.I'm surprised ZA were promoting anything,as they are not connected with Iolo,
and Sys Mech has the potential to Disable ZA.Having ZA Pro,I'm now reviewing and re evaluating it.The
firewallis A+ security,but all the extras are a waste of space.Plus I found a better firewall as rated by
Shields Up-Lavasoft Firewall is 'unusually stealthy & secure for a software firewall' according to Port
Scans & Leak Test.That's a good result,better than Zone Alarms with the same tests.This is available
as a free trial if you're interested.Really caution with System Mechanic is all I'd contribute on your Q.

Beebonh

Beebonh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, deodar.

I think System Mechanic has disabled settings and messed with my ZoneAlarm privileges.

Any idea what it disables in terms of the ISP connection? I can get on the Internet, obviously, but have been unable to access e-mail through Outlook for days.

beebonh

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can compare it with this if you want

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

deodar

deodar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK,you can still access the net so you could use your isp's Netmail,I use this all the time as Outlook has
been uninstalled as another waste of resources and source of conflicts.Internet mail is faster with the
shortcuts & a lot more secure=no mail on the system almost eliminates the need for Anti Virus apps.
The changes made are system changes,so a System Restore ,if it has a convenient point,might be an
easy fix.Otherwise I think you have to delete your mail account and create a new one with the preferred
settings.Inetwiz can be used for this,Start/Run/Inetwiz in box/enter.Review alll the settings,keep the
good ones,alter the ones you don't recognise.I imagine the install of Sys Mech 6 is flawed,as a preliminary
scan takes 20 minits or so.Uninstalling and reinstalling is the procedure for sorting out glitches in any
software,keep the exe file on CD in case that dissappears along with Sys Mech.Use Belarc to retrieve all codes for your software & print as a record.Good Luck.*Everest home edition,available from this site is also good for system analysis,but don't think it has this feature any more.

Edited by deodar, 20 January 2006 - 01:06 AM.

Beebonh

Beebonh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith,

Thanks for the TuneUp tip. It appears to have solved the e-mail problem, which was worrying me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

Download and run this as it will deal with the messages

http://grc.com/stm/s...hemessenger.htm