Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM Drive Not Workin

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i dont know what happened, i was using my cd-rom drive fine last night and when i came on today to play a cd in it, it wasnt loading and i went to my computer to try to open it from there but it only shows my Local hard drive. my cd-rom drive has disappeared. i did the windows update and i checked my device manager and it says my drive is workin properly but its not...any ideas on how to fix this or make my computer detect it again?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is a possible fix from M$: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok i dont think i wanna try to mess with the regedit so im gonna try method 2 which is...

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

after i uninstall the drive and scan for hardware changes, what if it doesnt read my drive? how could i bring it back then? i dont think i have the windows xp cd that it came with unless i look for it in the storage room. the cd-rom im usin came with the computer and its been workin fine, i got the computer in september.