Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Memory Issues only 41.67 out of 256m

• Please log in to reply

eliminator

eliminator

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a problem with memory it was 69.00 and it is now 41.67 I have ordered 256 I don't have alot of programs running nor do i have alot of files on my copmouter seems to be diappearing? help

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Where are you getting those numbers? Task Manger? Do you mean that is your free memory? Don't worry about it. Free memory is wasted memory.

Windows will gobble up whatever memory it can get to use to improve OS and program performance. No one likes this answer, but think about it...what good is a bunch of free (unused memory) good for?

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

No one likes this answer, but think about it...what good is a bunch of free (unused memory) good for?

For loading programs into. But I understand what you're saying. Memory not used for programs is usually applied to the disk cache. If you have lots of memory you can still have a large disk cache and run lots of programs. I still wouldn't call free memory bad or a waste - because you've got space should the demand suddenly increase.

eliminator

eliminator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for your quick reply I'm getting this from the system information Virtual memory the reason that I ask this is becasue my computer Has very slow reaction time such as opening programs starting up I have a medion titanium md8000 Intel 4 2.66 ghz 533mhz samsumg 256 ddr any ideas on why my sytem is so unstable Thanks